Anyone know?  scarab KV >

Anyone know? scarab KV

Notices

Anyone know? scarab KV

Old 11-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know? scarab KV

does anybody know of nobody’s business scarab kv last saw it out of Massachusetts
and reminded me another similar boat called widow maker which was in New York? Got me thinking any pics or Info?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Kv

Does that mean kevlar my friend is selling his Larry smith 38? Call me 631 902 4665
Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Sorry, got no photos unfortunately.

Originally Posted by way2fast
does anybody know of nobody’s business scarab kv last saw it out of Massachusetts
and reminded me another similar boat called widow maker which was in New York? Got me thinking any pics or Info?
Guess those two got out of the mold one after the other, in 1988, according to the 38 KV registry:

38KV REGISTRY

Old 11-03-2017, 05:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Better check those Vin's well on Wellcrafts lol. Our 87 Portifino has the same Vin as another.

We had a knock at the door one day several yrs ago- guys asking why we had a lien on the boat HE just bought from Florida.
State Police got involved- our Fino has been registered in OK since 88 so ours was good. PoPo called Wellcraft and they said YES we put Mercs in one boat and Crusaders in another Fino. Not really sure what became of his.

Must have been all of the SNOW in the 80's lol Somebody went an did some Blow and forgot the change the plate i guess??
Old 11-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
Guess those two got out of the mold one after the other, in 1988, according to the 38 KV registry:

38KV REGISTRY

i am not sure of that registry as many boats for example “obsession” the cool 80s All black 88kv is not on there
Old 11-04-2017, 01:49 AM
Registered

Well way2fast, Scarabs are special and not another 'a dime a dozen' boat like the Cigarettes
However, there were supposedly 103 KV(KAAMA VICE) made, so if someone wants to pick up
the torch there's another 75 HIN to add to the registry now. This is according to signature scarab_kv
on this forum. Well here's a few photos of Obsession, but you Cigarette guys are probably just seeing
the gal

Miami Vice season 2 Scarab changes hands

Photos: https://teamspeed.com/forums/perform...scarab-kv.html

Old 11-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

Last time guys the KV stands for KAAMA VERSION. The KV came out 2 years before the show and three years before the started using SCARABs. It was a tribute to Betty Cooks race boat.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know?  scarab KV-1977-kaama.png  
Old 11-05-2017, 04:26 AM
Registered

Default Lets agree to disagree Dan, since it's Wellcraft history.

Originally Posted by Team Archer
Last time guys the KV stands for KAAMA VERSION. The KV came out 2 years before the show and three years before the started using SCARABs. It was a tribute to Betty Cooks race boat.
All of us Scarab owners are very grateful that you always help us get the history surrounding the Scarab boats right and especially the special Larry Smith related stories. In this case, we're dealing with Wellcraft's marketing of their Scarab models and it's always a little worse since it's high volume merchandising and not very consistent when it comes to their labeling of models throughout the years. Gus Anastasi at Wellcraft those days told several fellows that bought 38's that KV was short for Kaama Vice. When Wellcraft was able to get their boat in the 2nd season of Miami Vice, instead of Chris-Craft, by leasing the TV production company the boats instead of selling them like Chris-Craft insisted, summer of 1985 and airing Sept. '85, they changed the name of their 377 flat decks from SE(Special Edition) Kaama to Wellcraft Scarab 38 KV. All the 38 KV were labeled SE(Special Edition), but the "Miami Vice" color scheme was just an option. First 38 KV was the number one TV-series boat and was a May 1985 production(WELP0965E585), but 1986 model year. The 377 SE Kaama were model year 1980-1984. These stories from original owners that dealt with Gus have made me believe that since the name change to KV 38 occurred right when the Scarab got to be the 'Miami Vice' Series boat it all made perfect sense. Personally, I'm more fascinated by the great stories behind Team Scarab and the friendship between Larry Smith, late Pete Rothschild, Chuck Daigh and Lance Reventlow. For example was it Larry Smith or Pete Rothschild that got the two of them to get a Formula 233 and go racing? Another thread of course and since I'm going more than 50 years back now, it's about time again that somebody honored Larry Smith and his late legendary friends with a definite, comprehensive story.

Last edited by larslindroth; 11-05-2017 at 04:44 AM.