Formula 26 SC Express >

Formula 26 SC Express

Notices

Formula 26 SC Express

Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 26 SC Express

Has anyone heard of this formula model? I am restoring this boat and I have found little to no info regarding it. Its like this model was like the black sheep of formula. I picked up mine off of Craigslist for free! Always wanted a Formula growing up and the price was right. It has taken me 1 year so far to remove the 37 years of bad repairs. Boat is now 3/4 gutted out. All mold removed and wood treated and sealed. Just started to rewire the whole boat last week. Any and all info would be so helpful. The whole rebuild has been documented as well as a video being made all because I could not find anything about it. Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I would try asking in the Formula owners forum and a call to Formula would be a sure way to find things like production numbers and options the boat may have been equipped with. Good luck with the restoration and post the pics and video when they are ready.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ph1971
I would try asking in the Formula owners forum and a call to Formula would be a sure way to find things like production numbers and options the boat may have been equipped with. Good luck with the restoration and post the pics and video when they are ready.
I have contacted Formula and the only info they had was the wiring diagram. Also went on formula boat owners forum and inquired as well. Its so strange!! Really its not a bad design, it is like a fastec but with a cabin you can actually stand up in, a legitimate head with shower, stove, refrigerator, water heater, water tank. I will post some pictures so you guys can itch your head like I did when I started to find all the stupid stuff. Just to rattle off the super stupid; both engines were Gm goodwrench car crate engines with vacuum advance and egr valves, 3/4 of the closed cooling hoses were PVC pipe, wiring was romex. Oh it gose on...
now I'm finally at the point of putting stuff back in the boat. the Engines I built my self. sbc 350's with forged balanced lower ends. D.U.I. ignition system with rev limiters. The cams are 1 step over stock, duel plane RPM performer intakes, 600 cfm holley carbs. Nothing too crazy because the pre Alpha drives wont handle the power. Once she is all up and running phase 2 will be to upgrade the drives to bravos then I can unleash the ponies. So far all the electrical wiring has been replaced and has been certified by ABYC. I'm trying not to go too crazy with electronics because I want to keep her analog as much as possible. As well as stock as possible. I had to move her from my drive way to the back of my garage because people would see me working on her and ask questions and then be shocked its a formula! One Saturday I literally had 8 people stop and ask questions and I couldn't get any work done. Crazy!
Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Here is the Formula factory brochure for 1981.
https://www.formulaboats.com/wp-cont...a-Brochure.pdf
Old 10-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 634 Likes on 293 Posts

Glad You seem to have enough power. This hull was made by Formula for at least 15 years. It was their famous designer John Adams first model for them, back in 1972. What makes it unique is that it's got a 9'6" beam! It's also got a decent vee at the transom, which makes it ride OK in comparison to some of the other Formula designs that came in late 70's early 80's when yours was built. I agree with ph1971, join the Formula Boats Forum to get more useful info. Notice in the brochure the Formula 26 Sedan Cruiser with a flybridge on the same hull as yours. Now that's an acquired taste.
1981 Formula Boats brochure.

P.S. A few images below of boats like yours and a U.S. Coast Guard photo of one of my fave Formula models, the 302. D.S.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:05 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

255 Liberator?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:07 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Formula made a 255 Liberator that had twin small blocks in the mid to late 70's. This might be the progression of that model.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f311fr1
Formula made a 255 Liberator that had twin small blocks in the mid to late 70's. This might be the progression of that model.
No, the 255 Liberator, 255 Freedom Cruiser etc., based on the 25'5" hull and have a regular 8' beam, are a different breed. In addition, they have relatively moderate vee-bottoms.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth

P.S. A few images below of boats like yours and a U.S. Coast Guard photo of one of my fave Formula models, the 302. D.S.

Where did you find the picture of the Coast Guard boat? Do you have any history about these boats?
Old 08-15-2020, 01:56 AM
Registered

Found it in one of Formula Boats publications. President Scott Porter of Formula used to race a 302-SR1 in 1985/86 and has been with the company for 45 years. Reach out to him and also ask if he knows the whereabouts of that race boat of his; name was 'Secret Formula' B-99.