Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Don Aronow Museum

Why is there no Museum for this man?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Australia and half way through writing my memoir of those early days racing with the Gardner Brothers in Surfrider and with Dick Bertrum in Lucky Moppie (plus of course Bobby Moore- nice recalls) and so good to see the names that shaped my career. I have plenty of stuff, drawings, pics and videos of those 60's events and will be sharing them when the book, title Fare Paid Home is ready. It will be on line for the handsome figure of $2.00 US. If you would like to register for a copy please email me at <[email protected]>.
Looking forward to catching up with Bobby - nice to know he is still around. Chris Hall (ex-mechanic for the Gardners 1963-67)
Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Why is there no Museum for this man?

This is my favorite pic of his
Old 12-21-2018, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

It would have to be connected to some Maritime Museum or something.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

I think we're blinded a little because of our love of powerboats and the part he played in shaping the industry but he was no angel. Too many voters would question their tax dollar used to commemorate his life.

Now, if you can get a high ranking politician or councilor who loves powerboats, has lived through the Don Aronow era, lives in Miami and is nearing the end of his tenure, I reckon you'd have your museum!

Just my 2 cents. Educate me or flame me if you wish

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 12-21-2018 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 121 Posts

Back about 8 years ago, we attempted to launch the National Performance Boat Museum. It had a rocky start and met its demise when our main cheerleader Bob Morgan was killed in Key West.

We had lofty ideas, great support by numerous entities in display offerings, but raising the monies needed to get the project off the ground went no where and quite honestly, met with actual hostility from people who thought we were misguided in trying to preserve boating history.

I guess what I am trying to say, without sounding like a sore looser. There is little to no support financially from people in the boating relm. Most live for today, live big and do not look back to where it came from nor care.

I will be the first to admit, timing may have played in our demise as well since it was during the rebuild time of Americas wealth. Now that people are back on top, maybe.... This will change. But don't expect any financial backing from municipalities or government because those programs simply no longer exist.

I would love to be proved wrong... And if someone wants to pick up where we left off, I would happily share everything we learned in our venture. Good and bad...

Last edited by bajaholic; 12-21-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

There is a great deal of interest by the BIG museums to be associated with the history of offshore racing.

I have had several conversations and sit down meetings with both MIT and Mystic SEAPORT and the problem that I had was....... the fact that they seemed to want to "Have" the material, but could give me no assurance of how often they would be "Shown" or "Displayed".

HORBA has a tremendous amount of material from over 100,000 photos, to trophies, to actual line drawings of the early designs. I also had permission to speak on behalf of the Don Aronow Collection, to see what kind of opportunity there might be. Not much difference.

BUT..... OF COURSE,....If one wished to "Donate" a new building, then so many days of displays could be assured to the donor.

It is a tough road, but a worthy one to keep knocking on doors, until we find the welcome mat for offshore powerboat racing finally.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

What do you mean? They just wrote and produced a movie about the great Ben Aronoff! Is this not enough? I could only dream that when I die they write a movie about me and have John Travolta play me!
Old 12-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Like I said, there is 100's of Maritime Museums all over the country. They would need to hook up with one of them to be a add on, not a stand alone. Either that or they need to build a Museum where they build Donzi's or one of his other boats.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 12-21-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
There is a great deal of interest by the BIG museums to be associated with the history of offshore racing.

I have had several conversations and sit down meetings with both MIT and Mystic SEAPORT and the problem that I had was....... the fact that they seemed to want to "Have" the material, but could give me no assurance of how often they would be "Shown" or "Displayed".

HORBA has a tremendous amount of material from over 100,000 photos, to trophies, to actual line drawings of the early designs. I also had permission to speak on behalf of the Don Aronow Collection, to see what kind of opportunity there might be. Not much difference.

BUT..... OF COURSE,....If one wished to "Donate" a new building, then so many days of displays could be assured to the donor.

It is a tough road, but a worthy one to keep knocking on doors, until we find the welcome mat for offshore powerboat racing finally.

very true the Lake George Donzi Classic Club worked with the seaport with Walt Walters drawings and info , back then they said it would be displayed in their new bldg, which it was with the Sting but it is a turnover display type building so it is not a permanent display it goes into the back room for safe keeping.
They also wanted to get some of Walt's boats up there when they do their in water show.

Just an idea but maybe they would go for it , it could be worked out where a long island to mystic run with Don's boats on display in the water in concert with a display of Don's stuff on loan of course in the new bldg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.