Old 07-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Ed! Do you have any idea what year that is from? From what I can gather on the Monza's it seams like each boat may have had a different layout or deck, depending on what the customer wanted at the time? Im really interested in trying to figure out if the teak on this boat was original. Other than the few race pics I've seen, most of the photos and info from everyone shows a windshield of some sort. They also do not have any consistent brand labeling either? Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

So funny the difference between the Pleasure and the Race boats and yet were out of the same molds. My Nova is the same way. Pleasure boat looks like the top picture and the race looks like the bottom. Also funny 15 years later everyone wants small cockpit long deck boats. No longer did folks want the pleasure version of the boat that won on race day, they wanted the race boat version or one that looks like it.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:26 PM
Registered

Do you guys have any opinions on motor/drive configurations for this project? As mentioned, early Volvo drives and probably SBF’s originally. As I start the transom project, it looks like the center stringer would have to be deleted to go to a single. Would a big block with a single be advantageous in any way? Should I try and rebuild these Volvo’s? Switch to SBC’s with bravo drives?

There’s a set of SBC’s here locally with 100-150 hours on them. I believe they are 350 mag carbureted alpha one motors, freshwater, new 650 EB carbs. Guy wants 3k each, but has no way of verifying their running condition. They are out of the boat and on shipping pallets. Any thoughts on how to negotiate or handle this scenario?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathead2
Do you guys have any opinions on motor/drive configurations for this project? As mentioned, early Volvo drives and probably SBF’s originally. As I start the transom project, it looks like the center stringer would have to be deleted to go to a single. Would a big block with a single be advantageous in any way? Should I try and rebuild these Volvo’s? Switch to SBC’s with bravo drives?

There’s a set of SBC’s here locally with 100-150 hours on them. I believe they are 350 mag carbureted alpha one motors, freshwater, new 650 EB carbs. Guy wants 3k each, but has no way of verifying their running condition. They are out of the boat and on shipping pallets. Any thoughts on how to negotiate or handle this scenario?
IMO, dont buy an engine unless you hear it running, or know the person selling it..
Old 07-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

When that thing was built the largest stock BB power was 330/454 , end even then it was probably more like 290 at the prop.
If it was me I'd do single BB power with the stoutest outdrive you can find . Treat the transom as though it's rotten and completely re-build it and then start from scratch with a clean , blank slate. Once you start seriously digging it'll probably turn out to be bad anyway.
One engine = good efficiency , less drag than 2 lower units and lower maintenance costs .
A single 'stock' BB motor in that thing with a B1 and you ought to see an easy 60 mph .
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Parts for old volvo's are getting scarce - people who know how to rebuild/service are even more rare... Aside from a die hard historical buff who can appreciate the effort of rebuilding 100% original - your ROI, headaches and questionable reliability in the long run vs. a B1, leans to the Black drive especially if you plan on keeping the boat and running it often. Don't get me wrong - original is cool but the seasons are short and there is something about B1 parts/replacement in less than a week of downtime ...just IMHO

As MadBouyz eluded to with the 330/454 back in the day - a 350MAG has the same HP for comparison
Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Registered

So the consensus is mercruisers for obvious reasons. Parts, availability, cost, maintenance, reliability, etc. Big block with a B1, or twin 350 mags with b1 or A1? Is it even worth talking about a pair of efi 4.3’s? Or is there a different drive that would be more suitable for the single. Just looking for info, and appreciate it. Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Volvo Penta's are easy to work on. So easy that I even made a video.
The real question is if you have trim or not and if it important to you. Unless you have a rare Penta with Trim you are going to want to go with the Mercruiser. Don't confuse Tilt with Trim either. If it's not hydraulic you have Tilt only which is only used for raising the outdrive for trailering.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 AM
Registered

That’s s great question. I’m not 100% on which driver these are. I can’t find any badging or labels, an only one serial number. Any clues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.