Notices

What is this?

Old 07-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They both appear to have a hydraulic ram at the base of the transom mount, that recesses into the bottom housing. Both are retracted all the way in. There are separate switches and gauges that are labeled as trim also, one of each for each drive. The serial number on one Drive I believe is: Pz nr 2179908. Other one is missing. I guess along with identifying which drives these are for trim and parts purposes, it would be nice to hear opinions on their compatibility with different power plants. I have the bell housings, and they look like others from SBF’s. Is it possible to switch to a SBC with these? Different housings available for them? Thanks again for the input!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Way back when Merc used the Ford 351 block for some of their I/O packages. The bell housings were different than the ones used in the GM based engines , so I don't think that they're interchangeable in any way and thusly that would apply for the Volvo applications also .
From the pics you've supplied so far those are NOT trimmable Volvos. If you do have gauges that refer to the outdrive position they are more than likely the tilt/lift reference gauges.
As much as I love the simplicity and durability of the Volvos of that vintage you're going to knock yourself out trying to rejuvenate that drive system in this day and age when you could just do as I suggested above and do a modernish single BB setup that could give you north of 430hp at the prop. It won't disappoint and you'll have an engine room that you and mechanics will actually like working in .
Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Mad, I appreciate it. I think here in MN, power tilt and trim is almost a necessity. (Boat ramps, shallow beaches, weeds, rocks, etc.). Especially since I will most likely be trailering for a while yet. Is there something specific I should look for that would indicate a trim function? Is the tilt mechanism hydraulic or electric?

Also, another question is these don’t appear to have any exhaust provisions. Any thoughts? I’m sure I’ll have to do some sort of captains call setup with the MN noise laws?

The couple of key key reasons I might like twins are:
1.maneuverability when docking
2. redundancy/safety for longer trips
3. Sound and feel/ride

can anyone chime in on experience with:
1. holeshot differences
2. fuel efficiency
3. top speed (probably won’t run hard, but i wouldn’t mind a little bit of a heart pounding thrill occasionally)
4. average cruising speeds

thanks again!

Old 07-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Is there something specific I should look for that would indicate a trim function? Is the tilt mechanism hydraulic or electric?

As mentioned earlier , the pics you have posted show the non-trimmable 250-270 transom plate. No large 'elephant ear' trim mechanisms in sight . As a matter of fact you can clearly see the manual (and fixed) trim pins ! You mention these gauges for trim , can you put up a pic of them ? I'll bet anything that they're the standard tilt/lift indicator gauges.
The pin that actuates the tilt/lift mechanism is visible on the top of the transom plate just inside / above the steering helmet. When retracted it only looks like a large washer slightly protruding from underneath the transom plate. When activated it pushes down like an oversized nail and releases the locking mechanism allowing the unit to tilt up . It is purely an electrical device ( I believe a Bosch motor) and is not hydraulic at all.
Unfortunately you don't have any pics of the transom looking from front to back but if the tilt motors are still there they're on top of the inner transom assembly with a black plastic cover over them that's held on with a single top mounted screw .
Old 07-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Registered

Green arrow points to switch mech, red arrow has gauges at bottom of pic. Closest ones I have.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Registered

Here are are a few inside pics. Much of this has been stripped already, but the drives are still hanging.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Very curious . I can see that there's no internal steering arms as the boat has external hydraulic steering but all the pics are just cut short of where the tilt/lift motor should be visible. It ought to be on top of the silver colored shaft thingy coming off the top of the internal transom plate/housing. (And btw, they look to be in nice shape too)
I can't enlarge the pics of those gauges but they don't look like the OEM Volvo tilt gauges and of course the switch looks like it's long since gone kaboom so we can't use that as a reference. If memory serves me correctly the original Volvo lift/tilt switch was a simple single rubber boot encapsulated toggle switch. Up or down , nothing else.
Also interesting that as a 'performance' boat you believe that it had Ford V8s in it but it doesn't have through transom exhaust .
Old 07-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Registered

Check out the bottom pic. There’s definitely some stuff on top by the “shaft thingy” but not sure what it is. Also in bottom pic, you can see where the old through hull exhaust holes were. Someone patched and glassed them in for who knows why. It really is kind of an interesting story with many missing parts. I also agree in that there’s definitely some aftermarket and add on stuff that probably wasn’t original.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

It would be interesting to see a picture with one of the outdrives lifted up and a look at this ram you're talking about as being at the bottom of the housing .
Now here's a what if.
Is there a chance that this boat was originally powered with Mercs and it was converted over to Volvos ? Two reasons I ask that . One , those gauges look like they could be very old Merc trim gauges and the thing you say is the remains of a switch could be an old Merc trim switch .
Two , the outdrives appear to have spacers on them to get the prop shaft deeper in the water . I can't recall ever seeing these before on Volvo units. Is it a possibility that it WAS once a Merc boat and the person re- rigging it just cut the bigger Volvo holes around the old Merc holes and then found the unit wasn't deep enough after the fact ?
Sorry to keep adding to the possible list of mysteries !
Old 07-20-2019, 05:53 PM
Registered

I suppose it’s a possibility! I did not notice any sign of any repower on it elsewhere though. The only signs are the glasses over through hull exhaust holes.
I thought the spacers were strange also. Certainly a big project for someone along the way. Along with the halon tank/system, dual gas tanks, unfinished forward berth, teak helm, etc. Probably makes the minimal resale on them (Volvo’s) even worse. I’ll try and get some more specific pics of the drives in the next week or two. Anything else you want to see?
The more we discuss this project, the more it sounds like a more modern propulsion system would be in my favor. I still haven’t heard any opinions on twin vs single. I’d love to hear thoughts on a 454 or 502 vs twin 350’s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.