Notices

What is this?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

If you get the tape measure out the Mag 25 was 25'4" LOA and a max beam of 8'
However , the difference may not lie in a stretch job as much as it does in other subtle areas . For instance the innermost strakes could be a different length than the original Mag 25's
It wasn't very often that builders who splashed a hull also did an exact copy of the deck . More often than not they did their own version , but I can certainly recognize the dimensions and curves/point on the bow of yours.
Our Mag has the stock FWC 502 Mag MPI with some nicer exhaust manifolds. Instead of a B1 it has a B3 with 2.0:1 gears and a 26" propset. Handling at all speeds is fantastic.
On a very good day it might bump 60 but WOT max wasn't a concern when doing the re-build. Runs over 4200 rpm are few and far between . Good for engine life and also on fuel bills where we're paying close to $10 a gallon. .
Old 07-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

As for what will mate up to the drives, you just need a bellhousing of the motor you want to use that can be found on eBay all the time. It's that simple.
Do yourself a favor, lock those drives in gear and spin them and make sure they work. And like I said you need to know the gear ratio.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha. I have yet to get hard measurements on the hull, specifically the beam. I had the seller help on the length, and it’s approximately 25’4”-25’6”. He was marketing it as a mag 27’, and I quickly was able to challenge this. I still feel it’s a possible Monza boat, otherwise my thought was a mag 25 sedan hull splash. I’m still hunting around the boat for clues. I’m going to try some paint stripper on the transom next. If anyone has any pics of possible vin locations, please chime in. I haven’t found any wax numbers under dash, bow, or interior pieces. I’ll have to check out the rubrail also. Once again, thanks for all the input!
Old 07-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Registered

I’ll also try to engage the drives. Thanks
Old 07-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Well , as we all know , it's not a Mag 27 hull splash . The 25 , as has already been pointed out , only came in one model marketed as the 'Magnum 25 Sport' And it was the 25 hull that had the extension done to it to raise the freeboard creating the character line that goes along the hull sides. (It was a shrunk 27 hull)
Assuming that that boat was built after 1970/71 (I believe) the HIN would be on the upper right side of the transom. If you can't see it right now there could be 3 possible reasons.
1) that ridge on the transom was not original and it covered it.
2) It's in the right place but in the process of re-painting it was filled in (I hate when that happens)
3) The original HIM wasn't molded into the gelcoat in the mold but was a metal plate riveted on the stern that has long since fallen off.

Also , I'm not discounting that it could be a Monza , or anything else for that matter , but whoever the original builder was it certainly appears that they used the molds off of a Mag 25
Bear in mind that the most copied hull in existence is the original Formula 233 . Dozens and dozens of builders have splashed it and in many instances stretched it as well but no matter what label they put on it it was still a Formula 233 hull.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:58 PM
Registered

I agree on the HIN, it’s either under all the paint and glasswork, or too old to have one.

On a different note, i think I know the route to go, but will ask opinions anyway. Coosa or Marine ply for the transom redo? It appears that M ply is a little more forgiving, especially if I use VE resin. Epoxy seams like it has a small margin for error and smaller working times, along with being too rigid.

Also, any good sources for this stuff online? Glass, resin, etc. I can find plenty of commercial/large batch resources, but probably do not need that much.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I always use US Composites.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 590 Likes on 240 Posts

Its a Monza. My dad bought a brand new 26 from the factory with twinn165 6 banger Mercs in 1973.

My brother made a mold off the hull and built a new style deck mold in 1980 and than sold the molds to Mirage out of Holland Michigan.

They sold them to Century boats.

That ridge across the transom is factory. They had molded in HINs on my dads boat but that boat you have is older.

I used to to have a pic of what I believe is that boat sitting in the water at Monza. Pretty sure that’s the one my dad and brothers test drove.

There is pics of of my dads Monza somewhere on this site that I posted. Lost them off my PC.

It it is not a Splash of a 25 Magnum. I have examined the magnum hull and it is similar but different.

I have asked Brownie who designed it and he had no answers other than a Ken Exkland built them.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered

Tommy,
Thanks for chiming in! Id love to see any original pictures of it that you can possibly dig up. I'd also like to see anything on your dad's as well. Interesting that it had twin 6 cylinder mercs... I have yet to measure the motor mount spacing, as was questioned earlier in this thread. The history info is appreciated also. Ill have to check out the Mirage and Century boats as well, just for more info! Also, Brownie designed what The magnum or monza? Ill have to look into Ken Exkland also. Thanks again!!!
Old 07-24-2019, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fathead2
Tommy,
Thanks for chiming in! Id love to see any original pictures of it that you can possibly dig up. I'd also like to see anything on your dad's as well. Interesting that it had twin 6 cylinder mercs... I have yet to measure the motor mount spacing, as was questioned earlier in this thread. The history info is appreciated also. Ill have to check out the Mirage and Century boats as well, just for more info! Also, Brownie designed what The magnum or monza? Ill have to look into Ken Exkland also. Thanks again!!!
More interesting information coming in . I still believe it's a splashed (but modified , remember the 10% rule) Mag 25 hull .
Brownie is noted for his Nova 24 and Super Nova 19 but I don't think he's ever been credited with designing any other hulls , not saying he didn't have a finger in any others though.
I could be wrong but I think that there's a spelling error in 'Ken Exkland' in case you go searching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.