Question about a Cigarette 35 Mistress >

Question about a Cigarette 35 Mistress

Notices

Question about a Cigarette 35 Mistress

Old 09-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about a Cigarette 35 Mistress

I am considering restoring a Cigarette 35 Mistress. I love the classic lines of the boat, but I am not fond of how shallow the cockpit area is in comparison to later model boats like a 35 Cafe Racer and Top Gun. I haven’t seen a Mistress with the floor removed so I am not sure how the structure is configured that supports the cockpit floor. Would it be possible to lower the cockpit floor during the restoration without having to completely change the floor structure? If it’s not reasonable to lower the cockpit flooring it may be wiser to restore a Cafe Racer instead. Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

What year is your Mistress?.....I own a '82 35 Mistress, but it's been fully customized. I know what your saying about the low free-board, but in my case the front bolsters hug me in tight and I've made the steering 4" closer thus
I feel pretty comfortable. I owned a 27 Magnum sport with very very low free-board so I dropped the entire cockpit sole down 6" which made a big difference in feeling like I wouldn't be ejected.
In the 35' I have a center fuel tank right in the middle of the cockpit floor which would made it impossible to lower the entire floor. If you feel you might eject while at the helm, you could always cut 12" square boxes out of the sole
and drop yourself in. but not sure if the issue of low-free-board is solely your concern, or about your passengers?
Old 09-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
What year is your Mistress?.....I own a '82 35 Mistress, but it's been fully customized. I know what your saying about the low free-board, but in my case the front bolsters hug me in tight and I've made the steering 4" closer thus
I feel pretty comfortable. I owned a 27 Magnum sport with very very low free-board so I dropped the entire cockpit sole down 6" which made a big difference in feeling like I wouldn't be ejected.
In the 35' I have a center fuel tank right in the middle of the cockpit floor which would made it impossible to lower the entire floor. If you feel you might eject while at the helm, you could always cut 12" square boxes out of the sole
and drop yourself in. but not sure if the issue of low-free-board is solely your concern, or about your passengers?

Thank you for the reply. The Mistress I am looking at is an 85. I was hoping to lower the entire cockpit area, but that is good information about the fuel tank preventing that from happening. Is your Mistress a Model L 160 gallon tank or a Model S with the 225 gallon tank? We have a house on LOTO so it can get pretty rough here at times and the extra freeboard would be nice especially for the wife.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have neither the 160 or 225 my tank is 150 gals. it's custom to the restoration my boat went through.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry to budge in but I have to say Scippy your boat is gorgeous. I said a prayer for you and your family at the anniversary last week. God bless...
Old 09-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cary 29
Sorry to budge in but I have to say Scippy your boat is gorgeous. I said a prayer for you and your family at the anniversary last week. God bless...
Cary thank you for your thoughts and prayers!....God bless you to my friend and your family!
Old 09-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe the 35 footers of that time era shared the same hull. The decks are different The Mistress was a flat deck and the Awesome was a raised deck.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by boomer
I believe the 35 footers of that time era shared the same hull. The decks are different The Mistress was a flat deck and the Awesome was a raised deck.
The 35' "Mistress" was introduced in 1973 she was a refinement of the earlier "Awesome" (Aronow said, "sexy sleek and powerful , she performs like a mistress should"
Old 09-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by scippy
The 35' "Mistress" was introduced in 1973 she was a refinement of the earlier "Awesome" (Aronow said, "sexy sleek and powerful , she performs like a mistress should"
correction, ...........35 Awesome introduced in '74 and 35' Mistress introduced in '77