Lost Shadow Cat Race Boat Found >

Lost Shadow Cat Race Boat Found

Notices

Lost Shadow Cat Race Boat Found

Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lost Shadow Cat Race Boat Found

I recently found this website and now I'm addicted. Specifically I'm addicted to the Classic Offshore section and all of the posts regarding old offshore race boats, their history, and restoration. For a number of years I have been driving past an old stripped hull on the side of Rt. 17 in York County, VA. That old hull always caught my attention and I wondered what it was. From the road it appeared to be 30 to 40 foot long. I though it was a V bottom, possibly an old Cig or Scarab performance boat. It was tucked in behind a row of used boats and automobiles so I couldn't really tell what it was. Last week, thanks to this forum, I stopped in too get a better look and to find out exactly what this thing was.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 PM
Registered

Bear with me, I'm trying to tell a story and get my posts up so I can post some pictures. When I pulled into the lot, "Ned's Auto and Marine Sales", I got a better look and was surprised to see a cat hull sitting on its original race trailer. I got a bit excited when I noticed P-20 on the front deck, remnants of a name on the sides, and crew names stenciled on the coming. I then knew this thing was a lost race boat. Well lost to me. Some of you may already know of this boat, there is a lot of traffic on 17 thru York.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Registered

When I got out of my truck there was an older gentleman in the parking lot doing some work on a used automobile that was for sale. I introduced myself and asked if I could take a look at his race boat. I also asked the gentleman what his name was. He responded "Ned Lipscomb" and showed me his name on his shirt. Not recognizing the name or knowing that he was an x racer I asked him a little bit about the boat. He then proceeded to tell me that he was the owner and driver and that the boat was a 33' Shadow Cat. I wasn't able to get a lot of information out of Mr. Lipscomb because he seemed busy, but he did make a point and seemed to be proud that his boat was the only 33' Shadow Cat produced.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Subscribed
Old 09-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Subbed as well and I did not know that Shadow had a 33 ft cat.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:31 AM
Registered

Sorry to leave you guys hanging yesterday afternoon. I got pulled away from the computer. Anyhow back to the story. I checked the boat over. It currently has a blue sides with red, orange , and yellow striping. It still has P-20 on the front deck. I'm not real familiar with the different classes. Would this be P for Production Class? On the starboard side of the cockpit Owner/Driver Ned Lipscomb is stenciled and Throttleman Matt Baumann appears on the port side. The cockpit was partially covered with a tarp, so I wasn't able to get any good pictures of the helm and bolsters. The boat is currently set up for triple outboards. The motors are not present at this time, however the trim planes where still there. The stern appears to have been reinforced with metal plates. I'm not sure if this was factory original or a racer modification. Between the stern and the cockpit there is a large compartment for mechanical gear, definitely large enough of inboards with stern drives. Again the cockpit was covered and I wasn't able to get any pictures of that. Definitely a cool boat.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

And what did the owner have to say? For sale? How long sitting outside?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Registered

After I looked at the boat I went inside to see if I could get more information from Mr. Lipscomb. He was busy on the phone. I think he was having computer issues and was talking to a technician. I was able to get a little more information. Ned told me the boat was once all white and sponsored by Budweiser. He had a couple of pictures on the wall and one was in the Budweiser paint scheme. At that time it looked like the boat was running twin outboards. I couldn't make out what size they were from the picture. Ned also told me that he throttled for Don Johnson. I don't know if this was a one time thing, specific races, or for a number of seasons? I looked on YouTube and all I could find was videos of Don driving with throttleman Richie somebody. Sorry, I'm not real good with names and don't remember Richie's last name. I watched a bunch of other videos with Shadow Cats racing, but I was never able to find one with Ned's boat in it. If anyone remembers this boat/crew and has more pictures I would be interested in seeing them. Videos would be great also.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you able to post any of your photos?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Registered

I will try and post my pictures of the boat here in a few minutes. I haven't posted any pictures before so I might need a little help. A few other details from my conversation with Ned. He was definitely busy and didn't really seem like he had time to talk. I hope that if I stop in again he will have more time and will be willing to share his stories. I told him about this forum and I hope he will take an interest and share his stories online. The racers and builders of that era are getting older and won't be around in another decade. I had a history professor tell me, "You are only one generation away from history". I hope we can save some of these stories and history before it's gone. I believe Ned said he was 78? He is a big guy, like a football player, with gray hair. He's what I imagine most offshore racers to be like, but I know that's stereotypical. Ned did ask me if I was interested in buying the boat. I don't know if he was serious and I didn't ask how much. I wish I had asked and will bring it up again the next time I see him. Unfortunately anytime I find something cool like this the owner doesn't want to let go of it for a reasonable price. Probably too much sentimental value/memories. Ned did tell me that he has three other race boats at his house. Our conversations were very brief and again I didn't get any details on these boats. Ned did say that his team lost the Budweiser sponsorship and I believe that led to an end in his racing career. He had to have continued racing at least for a while though because the boat changed color schemes and outboard set ups (twins to triples). Again if anyone has more information I would be very interested to read about it. Also I read a thread on this forum about Shadow Cat and the original management/production team. Sorry I don't remember the names involved, but I would definitely like to hear from the guys that built this boat. I would definitely like to verify that this was a one off 33' Shadow Cat. That would definitely make this boat unique. From my conversation with Ned he said the boat was fast and that it was the envy of other shorter cat owners/racers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.