1987 Wellcraft SCARAB 38KV

Notices

1987 Wellcraft SCARAB 38KV

Old 10-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Wellcraft SCARAB 38KV

Hey all,

I've been on the forums and actively looking for a scarab for quite sometime and stumbled upon this one this morning. Its a 1987 Wellcraft SCARAB 38KV Hull ID WELP3409E787. It's name is Novocain and I referenced it with the 38scarabkv web page. I found a post with it on Boats-from-usa listed at 35k, its on facebook market place for 7k or best offer trailer included. Trailer is in rough shape but it still sounds too good to be true. Does anyone have any info on this boat or seen it floating around? The guy who has it listed is named Johnny and sent me this info.

- "No surveys were done but the stringers are in good shape engines haven't ran for two years. Engines transmissions and our drives were changed into thousand and one total hours on everything is roughly 40 hours. They were installed in 2001 and are 8.2L BlueWater Mercury's. Due to poor riser design water leaked back into two cylinders on both sides of each engine. I've owned it since 2015 and the previous owner kept it in storage and covered when not in use since 2001. The two engines will definitely need a rebuild."

Biggest thing I'm looking for is has anyone seen this boat floating around for sale before? I plan on taking a ride up to mass from CT to look at it friday or this weekend. I'm down for the restoration process and honestly its something I enjoy but never worked with a boat quite this big or style. I restored a 71 Glastron Carlson CV-16 but it was a boat that's been in my family since 74 so i knew its history and its also only 16ft lol. The link to boats-from-usa aren't the same pictures he sent me but it is without a doubt the same boat in roughly the same condition minus the motor issues. Think its worth restoring if all checks out? Any info or input is greatly appreciated!

- I cant post the link to the boat on boats-from-usa but if you google the hull number it will pop up!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Never seen the boat but I love that model, post pictures when you can. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

tough call without pictures... and ... SURVEY ! it's not worth millions, depending on how much needs to be spent on engines, might be a good deal or it might be ...10k too much even at 7 K !
Old 10-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 940 Likes on 472 Posts

here's the link from the boat from usa site: https://boats-from-usa.com/wellcraft...t-scarab-99111
and those are TRS not bravo drives likes its stated...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the responses, Love the model too. Yep they are TRS out drives. Honestly the engines are more than likely a lost cause and I'd re-power with bravo's. Really started pricing things out and it would be an easy 25-30 grand there on the low alone. For the money I'd have to dump into it despite how much i love the style I could get something newer and already done... Probably still take a ride out tomorrow to take a look but I don't think the end result would justify the money and time into it sadly.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Interior looks really clean! E terior my need some attention but still. Not bad ! I would not start a bravo coversion IF transom is good if not might as well !