Notices

89 panther!

Old 06-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89 panther!

Ok so picked up this boat for free and is in great shape other than not having motors. My question is if I don't go with outboards, are both engines same rotation? Oh yeah and if I had some 383 strokers built pushing 420hp and 440ft pounds of torque, is there some sort of conversion needed being it had 454's ? Thanks
Old 06-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 243 Posts

i have an late 80s panther the issue is it had trs that used a velvet drive trans so the engines are farther forward great for balance but you need to move engines back closer to the transome to adapt bravo or alphas
Old 06-06-2020, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

What does it have now for drives? 88, 89 was a crossover year. Wellcraft had Panthers with the 330 hp BBC with Alphas (before the bravo was released) If you have alphas now, to convert to a a bravo transom assembly ony needs a extra bolt hole drilled in the transom
Old 06-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

My 88 Panther was original with Bravos and 330's. Hopefully you have Bravo's and some parts lying in there like bell housings. Look and see what type of engine mounts you had, Offshore mounts or the pedestal style. search for "Rookie" on here for great Panther info. Go to the Scarab sub section as well, there are a couple of great builds on there for info.

Do not sell the TRS drive short if you have them, they are a big strong drive, they just need a transmission which makes the space in front of the engines real tight in a Panther
Old 06-07-2020, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by R1ster
Ok so picked up this boat for free and is in great shape other than not having motors. My question is if I don't go with outboards, are both engines same rotation? Oh yeah and if I had some 383 strokers built pushing 420hp and 440ft pounds of torque, is there some sort of conversion needed being it had 454's ? Thanks
Yes, both engines should be standard rotation. Being an '89 it should be a Bravo boat. I believe Alphas were only paired with 454's in 1987, that experiment didn't last long... If you do go SBC the motor mounts should align up, but you would need to fill and drill new exhaust holes in the transom.
The following users liked this post:
1983ScarabIII (02-26-2022)