Tow vehicle question >

Tow vehicle question

Notices

Tow vehicle question

Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow vehicle question

I have an offer in on a 2005 32 with twin 250's. According to Concept specs boat without motors is 4400 lbs add motors 1200 or so lbs now at 5600. I realize there will be other weight on top of this as well. Can I tow this package with a 1/2 ton or do I need to go up to a 3/4 ton vehicle? Thanks for your input.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

1/2 ton is fine. My dads F150 is rated at 8500, so depending on your rating, your probably fine. Look it up and make sure your brakes on trailer works. I pulled my 25 Outlaw with my old 150 and towed great. 4700 dry, steel trailer.... loaded around 7500.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Too big of a tail with too much weight on the tail of the tail; wagging too little of a dog...
...when it comes to a half-ton truck for towing this setup.

I don't care what the ratings say. It's not just about the overall weight. You're not pulling a two axle flatbed trailer with lead plates and perfectly distributed weight/balance.

You need the additional weight of the heavier frame, axles, and other running gear to keep that setup under control when towing.
Add trailer weight, tools, gear, FUEL, coolers, tackle, spare parts, stereo, additional batteries. etc. etc...
...that's going to be over 9000 lbs. And at 32 feet long of boat with at least 1400 lbs out outboards and rigging hanging WAY off the back...
...you will need a 3/4 ton. Especially when you consider that ALL truck tow rating are spec'd with an EMPTY truck.
They don't calculate all the stuff you have in the truck including your spouse, 2.5 kids, dogs, luggage, etc. etc. And the most important parts of that are priceless when it comes to investing in the right towing setup.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-02-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

My 30 tows great with my 3/4 ton truck. How much towing do you plan on doing? If you are a real road warrior, you probably want to think about upgrading your truck. Short distances on flat ground you might be OK.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Registered

Thanks guys....it looks like I need to go 3/4 which is what I was thinking. I will be towing on flat roads Fl. only, but the distance at times will be a few hundred miles not just back and forth to the ramp.

on a side note, he accepted my offer, so I should have the boat by March 18th or so. Can't wait.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Good choice on stepping up to the next level with the truck. There is a big difference between a truck that is just enough adequate vs one that is easily working.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by artman
Thanks guys....it looks like I need to go 3/4 which is what I was thinking. I will be towing on flat roads Fl. only, but the distance at times will be a few hundred miles not just back and forth to the ramp.

on a side note, he accepted my offer, so I should have the boat by March 18th or so. Can't wait.
What is your current truck? Congrats on the new boat. Where will you typically use it? We're in St Cloud, and either go to Melbourne (down to Sebastian) or over to the West Coast around St. Pete. Btw, I have a 30' Velocity w/ I/O's that I tow with my 1/2 ton. I've got a '16 Sierra with a 6.2 4wd and Max Tow package, and it does fine.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Registered

I don't have a tow vehicle at this time, but trying to decided what to buy. I live in Orlando and my girlfriend is in Cape Canaveral so we will boat on several different bodies of water, St. Johns River, Indian and Banana rivers, Sebastian , keys and any place else I can find a group to hang out with. I love traveling with the boat meeting new people and visiting new places. It seems to me a 1/2 ton would tow it just fine but obviously a 3/4 or 1 ton would be best. I just don't have anything at this point and anything I buy will sit in the driveway and only be used for towing since I have a company car. Knowing that I'm trying to keep cost down when buying something but don't want to be unsafe.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great. We live in St Cloud so we are close to the east coast. We have friends in Merritt Island and a few in Melbourne so we get over that way quite a bit. Hit me up once you get settled with the boat and truck. There's also a group out of Melbourne that goes by Happy Times Power Boat Club on Facebook. They do a few lunch runs and such throas ghost the year.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind STOPPING ability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.