Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/173524-making-race-fairing-formula-302-a.html)

Audiofn 01-19-2003 10:43 AM

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

1 Attachment(s)
As of Friday Chart and I have started to build our "race" fairing for our boats. We are still working on the construction of the system but so far think that we have come up with some ideas as to the look that we want. This will be a step by step process as the paint job was.

This First Picture is the original look

US1 Fountain 01-19-2003 10:51 AM

Is this your boat? Looks great without the port windows. Also will be nice to see the day to day progress since this topic seems to come up every so often. Are you guys going with Al. ?

Audiofn 01-19-2003 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the original view from the inside

Audiofn 01-19-2003 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the removal of the window. On this boat the window is bolted down from the underside of the deck. We thought we should just leave it like this :D:D

Audiofn 01-19-2003 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the look that we are going for. At this point we are trying to figure out the fit and make templates for what ever new material we are going to go with. As of now the front runners for the material are Honeycomb and/or end grain Balsa btwn the figerglass skin.

This will be a fiberglass painted or Gelcoated finished product.

What do you guys think about this look?

azlineman 01-19-2003 11:05 AM

Looks great! I tried to make one on a Four Winns liberator about 5 years ago. We used foam sheeting & balsa. It looked great 'till we started laying glass and resin. It was a hot summer day and it warped very badly when lay'in up. Ended up in the dumpster and I had a buddy in Havasu make me one out of tinted lexan.

Pure Energy 01-19-2003 11:05 AM

1st off, you have done a great job on your boat!

2nd, you may want to make it a little taller. It is a big boat and from the side view it looks unproportional. Also, wind through your hair is great, but after a while it get annoying and slightly painfull. Since you are making it from scratch, maybe pop up windscreens, like what cigarette has. Keep the pics coming!

cuda 01-19-2003 11:15 AM

Personally, I'm a windshield sort of guy. However, I was talking to a guy last week that stuffed his 35 foot Formula, and they were cut up pretty badly from the windshield. He was actually knocked out.

wwwTOPDJcom 01-19-2003 11:21 AM

THAT looks great Jon did you price out white Lexan
could be easier to do??

jb 01-20-2003 09:19 AM

i agree with Ken...
Its tough to do with the rake of the deck. I am also a windshield guy...
but I think one that small would give you the appearance of an old Kaama or an old 37 aronow.. you know the long boat flat deck appearance.
You have done a great job with the boat!!
I came over to the tech section just to see it!!!
perhaps a fairing with a lip at the top will create the bigger look
do you worry about so much of your body being above the fairing?