hydraulic steering, stock pump >

hydraulic steering, stock pump

Notices

hydraulic steering, stock pump

Old 03-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic steering, stock pump

A couple of quick questions. I've done some searching but not finding exactly what I need answered. I am working on my first twin engine boat and trying to upgrade to full hydraulic steering. I have some parts but not sure what else I need to complete this project.

First off, I have two cylinders (mayfair), the mounting brackets for the drives, the brackets that mount to the transom and one "U" shaped piece that I believe mounts on the trim ram ends to mount the tiebar. I am missing the tiebar, the other "U" piece, a hydraulic helm (what ratio do I need?), thru hull fittings. What else am I missing here?

Second, I want to use the stock gm pump if possible and from reading other posts this seems doable, but my question is what do I do with the pump on the second engine? Do I bypass it with a different serpentine belt and remove the pump?

lots more questions to come I am sure. any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you can run off one pump fine .... but if you already have two in service you can use both but you will need a valve to tie the two pumps into the system ...you might aready have it if you using both punps ... I cant remember what it is called but no fear ...someone will know .....m
Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

It's called a priority valve, and according to f311fr1, they are available from Sun Hydraulics in FL. You can read the thread where this is discussed at Steering Thread.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to run 2 pumps, why wouldn't a check valve on each pump press line work? Add a crossover hose to each reservoir to keep them at the same level. Better yet, a single reservoir feeding both pumps.

Jeff
Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Looks like I'll definitely be running the both pumps. Any ideas on what I may be missing on the steering parts side?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

why run both one will do it just fine
Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

If you can get a proportioning/priority valve... I would suggest running two pumps.

The obvious best reason for 2 pumps is for the day you want to (or are forced to - heaven forbid) return to the dock on the engine without the pump. Yes, you can still turn the wheel without the pump, but quick changes in direction are a pain.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

I don't know how many quick changes in direction you would be making on one motor...

Of course, if you're used to docking with with twins you're probably going to need all the help you can get with one motor down.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

These will help ya with the plumbing end....
Attached Thumbnails hydraulic steering, stock pump-steering-diagram.jpg  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:10 PM
OPA
Registered

nocig
do you have a print for a single pump set up & do you know where i can get a priority valve?

Quick Reply: hydraulic steering, stock pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.