Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Testing trim limit sensor (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/185730-testing-trim-limit-sensor.html)

drpete3 04-30-2008 05:17 PM

Testing trim limit sensor

My trim button doesnt work (trailer swicth does) and i would like to know if my trim limit sensor is bad. How can I test to see if its workning. Can I use an ohm meter to test? can I by pass the sessor?

Does the sensor work by just opening and closing a circuit as the drive goes up and down? If so I should be able to test for continuity. I should also be able to disconnect the sensor and sonnect the 2 wires that go into the sensor and the trim butttn should work.

What are your thoughts?

c_deezy 04-30-2008 05:39 PM

If its a Bravo its the puck on the port side of the gimble. You can bypass it, on the wires that run to the puck in the gimble from the trim pump there should be a place where the wires are connected with a plug-in type connector. Unhook them there and short them together and it bypasses the puck. Ran into the same thing myself last year, fiddled with the puck until it worked. Those stupid pucks are on my to-do list.

That's basically what your trailer trim does, it bypasses the puck. Open the puck and you'll see how it works, just like you think it does.

drpete3 04-30-2008 09:33 PM

Ill try shorting it out and see if my switch works. I found the plugs your referring to.

Any other advise is appreciated. I have head they are a bear to change.

c_deezy 05-01-2008 01:53 AM

They are notorious for the stainless steel screws that hold them into the gimble freezing into the aluminum gimble, then you have to drill them out and retap the holes or if you are lucky an ez out will work. That's the main reason I haven't pulled mine off, I tested the screws and it felt like if I put any more torque on it, it was going to snap the head off. I figured a flaky limit and position sender were better than nothing at all so I left it be for the time being.

drpete3 05-01-2008 09:29 AM

I have had mine apart but not off. I took out all of the screws and examined the guts. Didnt know what I was looking at . Put it back together and still wasnt working. I will try to short out the wires tonight like you suggested and see if its the trim switch.

MOBILEMERCMAN 05-01-2008 09:34 AM

It could be the switch or the wires. Just by pass on the inside. The bullet connectors unplug. There may even be a short purple jumper ty-wrapped to the trim harness near the connections.

drpete3 05-02-2008 01:43 PM

It works!!!!!!! Got it working and now just want to make sure that I adjusted correctly.

On the trim cylinder for a bravo 1, I am now fully trimmed with a measurement from bolt to bolt of 21 3/4"

I got that info from another site. i FEEL LIKE EVERTHING WORKS ON MY BOAT NOW!!!! HURAYYYYY!