HYDRAULIC Steering for TRS/30' Scarab >

HYDRAULIC Steering for TRS/30' Scarab

Notices

HYDRAULIC Steering for TRS/30' Scarab

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HYDRAULIC Steering for TRS/30' Scarab

I am starting my search for a low budget hydraulic steering system for my Scarab. I am intrested in trying to peice together the piceces I need to complete the conversion or buy a complete used kit. Has any one gone this route with any success? Does anyone have a kit they want to sell.

The boat is a 1980 30' scarab with TRS drives.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I goy mine from XS marine..small guy ..some people had problems with Brian..I DID NOT !..i THINK HIS SITE IS www.xsperformancemarine.com
Attached Thumbnails HYDRAULIC Steering for TRS/30' Scarab-100_3291.jpg  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have pieced together many steering systems over the years for budget boaters. Start with the caps for your trs drives Ebay or where ever you can find them used. Even the merc caps work good just get the bolts and spacers. Next find some rams many good ones used ones out there, Latham, marine machine, mayfair, wpm, Hydrive,or the kind with the exposed bolts Hynautic or Kobert. All work well. You have to decide what steering pump Full hydraulic or power steering? Power steering is the way to go but full hydraulic isn't bad just harder to steer. Helm Pump Full hydrualic Capliano or Hynatutic. Power steering Charlynn and now you need a reservior bottle (latham) and the piece to connect a steering wheel to it. Aeroquip #6 fittings to connect everything, you can find these used also, there removable fittings and just buy new hose. I personally prefer full hydraulic steering on boats under 75mph it's simpler to rig ,but harder to turn and less expensive. Good luck w/ that nice scarab.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
I have pieced together many steering systems over the years for budget boaters. Start with the caps for your trs drives Ebay or where ever you can find them used. Even the merc caps work good just get the bolts and spacers. Next find some rams many good ones used ones out there, Latham, marine machine, mayfair, wpm, Hydrive,or the kind with the exposed bolts Hynautic or Kobert. All work well. You have to decide what steering pump Full hydraulic or power steering? Power steering is the way to go but full hydraulic isn't bad just harder to steer. Helm Pump Full hydrualic Capliano or Hynatutic. Power steering Charlynn and now you need a reservior bottle (latham) and the piece to connect a steering wheel to it. Aeroquip #6 fittings to connect everything, you can find these used also, there removable fittings and just buy new hose. I personally prefer full hydraulic steering on boats under 75mph it's simpler to rig ,but harder to turn and less expensive. Good luck w/ that nice scarab.
Does anyone make a full hydraulic kit right now? All the ones I've seen new use the power steering pump.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC
I goy mine from XS marine..small guy ..some people had problems with Brian..I DID NOT !..i THINK HIS SITE IS www.xsperformancemarine.com
How much was your kit...And do you have any pictures of the the inside installation?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The difference between power steering and the full hydraulic is the helm pump. The two different pumps are Hynautic 41 and capliano 1275Hv. The hynautic pump is easier to turn but need a resevoir can. The capliano is a self contained unit. If you are using a single ram,I would go straight hydraulic. IMO it would be easier. The hynautic pump is larger and needs some room under the dash. I have a good Hynautic Helm pump I would sell, if you knew for sure it would work for your application. The capliano pump is smaller and requires less room under the dash.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
The difference between power steering and the full hydraulic is the helm pump. The two different pumps are Hynautic 41 and capliano 1275Hv. The hynautic pump is easier to turn but need a resevoir can. The capliano is a self contained unit. If you are using a single ram,I would go straight hydraulic. IMO it would be easier. The hynautic pump is larger and needs some room under the dash. I have a good Hynautic Helm pump I would sell, if you knew for sure it would work for your application. The capliano pump is smaller and requires less room under the dash.
Do you have dimensions? I really would like hydraulic internal steering if I could find a setup. I really want 0 feedback, no power steering pump to drive, and I don't get to speeds where I really need external so I can save some money with internal (unless external is cheaper?)
Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

IMO you could even use a seastar O/B model helm pump that mounts above the dash (2.1model) and a single ram mounted externally. The trs tiller arm is the weak link and almost always has some play in it. PM me if you have any questions and I will try and help. A full hydraulic system is the way to go on your boat. jay
Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
How much was your kit...And do you have any pictures of the the inside installation?
If your looking for an off the shelf TRS system WPM has them. I talked last summer to them I think around $2800-$3200
http://www.wpmracing.com/home.htm

I have pieced one together off of E-bay. $600 for Marine Machine cylinders, bought hoses at my local Parker hydraulic shop, I have a Seastar helm pump off of E-bay, I am looking for a H-41 or a 1275 now, I made my own wing plates and transom mounts at work, (go with back cap mount syle not the top cap mount, you might have interference at a later date if you add any silencing devices)

I have almost about $1000 into my system

I actually like the closed helm pump system it might be a little harder to turn and a couple more turns lock to lock, but if you have the engine go down that has the steering pump on it you still have good steering.

Northernoffshore, what helm pump do you have available???

Last edited by Rookie; 05-19-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a big hynautic h41 with the resevoir call 239-437-9480.jay

Quick Reply: HYDRAULIC Steering for TRS/30' Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.