Need aluminum or plastic fuel tank >

Need aluminum or plastic fuel tank

Notices

Need aluminum or plastic fuel tank

Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
It will come out without cutting the firewall...You have to lift from the front of the tank. Of all the stuff I did on mine the fuel tank was the worst part.
Eddie,

Do you remember which brand of expanding foam you used. I found this stuff and it seems like it will do the trick.

http://www.marinefoam.com/polyuretha...ink_type=image

Thanks
Jim
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I used evercoat...But the stuff you found will work great. I am sure you will use a couple of gallons.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be a little late to this conversation but last summer I pulled my tank out. I had to cut the floor and back seat but left the super structure intact.

I had a custom tank made identical to my original from a manufacturer in Florida for about $1300 and shipped.

I can share my experience with you, I took a lot of pictures through each step in order to post here later.

Let me know what you need and I will be glad to help in any way. and I used a 2 part 2lb.foam but I need to look at the invoice for the name.

Good Luck.
David
Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 79excalibur
I might be a little late to this conversation but last summer I pulled my tank out. I had to cut the floor and back seat but left the super structure intact.

I had a custom tank made identical to my original from a manufacturer in Florida for about $1300 and shipped.

I can share my experience with you, I took a lot of pictures through each step in order to post here later.

Let me know what you need and I will be glad to help in any way. and I used a 2 part 2lb.foam but I need to look at the invoice for the name.

Good Luck.
David
Your not too late, I havent pulled the trigger yet on a new tank. Do you happen to remember the name of the company in FL where you hade the tank made?

Thanks
jim
Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you use at leaste a 2 pound foam. I am still looking for a tank myself. I am considering a stainless tank.... Will be more costly but there will be no concern with the Ethenol.... I read some stuff that Ethenol can corrode alluminum as well!!!! The other thing that some one mentioned to me was the use of a bladder tank?

Jon
Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

As for the foam. I am going to get mine from Composites 1. I have an account with them. I am sure that since I have to buy in bulk that I will have left over. Maybe we can go in on the foam and you can grab the left over. The price that you are showing on that other site seems a bit high to me. Of course last time I purchased the stuff was a few years back so.....
Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Registered

Jon,

I also did some research regarding ethanol and what I read was 10% ethanol by volume is accectable for aluminum tanks but any more then that and you have problems, I have only seen fuel with 10% ethanol being sold so I figured aluminum would be fine. In regards to the foam, I have calculated that I will need 7.5 cu.ft of foam to fill the space around my new tank, how much were you planning to buy and when do you plan to get an updated price?

I decided to go with a local guy to build my tank, he built my jet boat tank a few years back and did a great job! He quoted me a price of $900 for a 131 gallon tank. I called a place in Jersey and they wanted $1150 + $200 to get it shipped to my house.

I can give you his number if interested, It would probably be an hour ride for you!

...Jim
Old 06-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Hour ride is no problem for me. I am waiting on a quote from a guy in RI now. I guess the question is are they going to get rid of Ethenol OR are they going to start to go with a higher percentage.... That is the scare obviously. The guy in RI that I am waiting on is going to quote me a allum. vs. stainless option.

Jon
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Hour ride is no problem for me. I am waiting on a quote from a guy in RI now. I guess the question is are they going to get rid of Ethenol OR are they going to start to go with a higher percentage.... That is the scare obviously. The guy in RI that I am waiting on is going to quote me a allum. vs. stainless option.

Jon

I heard rumors it was going away! When do you think you will have a price? I would be interested in what your guy comes in with for a price both alum. and stainless Let me know!

...Jim
Old 06-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ok just got some more info. Stainless is illegal if you use gas. So Stainless is out...

This guy was going to use 3/16ths thick alluminum and would be around 1400. So I guess we would need to compair the thickness and quality of the alluminum that they are using...

Quick Reply: Need aluminum or plastic fuel tank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.