First big boat recomendations?? >

First big boat recomendations??

Notices

First big boat recomendations??

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First big boat recomendations??

I finally have the truck, house and everything else sorted and figure it's time for a decent sized boat! I've been playing around with little ski boats and figure it's time to start running with the offshore guys! Or at least as much as my paycheck will allow for...

I was wondering if I should go for a bigger old boat (early '80s 29' Scarab with 454s that could use quite a bit of work) or something quite a bit smaller but new? Oh and my driveway is only 10' wide so a cat is sadly out of the question at the moment.

I'm fairly good around fiberglass and electronics. I've built a few custom sport bikes so I sorta know what I'm getting into with an old boat but transom and stringer replacement sounds a little scary. Any help would be great, thanks. Oh and I'm out in Southern California where finding a decent boat is damn near impossible! A road trip to FL is sounding better and better...
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Registered

Get ya something in the 24-28' range, stock power, and as little maintenance as possible. Even if the boat is "perfect" you'll get plenty of work out of it..........it's a boat afterall. After you've owned it for while you'll feel more comfortable taking on some of the bigger projects (glasswork, engine mods, paint, etc.)

You'll be happier to have something that is turn key, and if you're coming out of a ski boat, or no boat, it will almost surely be fast enough for you to be satisfied and get comfortable with the speed and ride of the go-fasts. Then, once you get 2-foot-itis and 2-mph-itis (both of which are inevitable) you can decide what to do next. My 2 cents.

Also, a 10' width does not eliminate the cat idea, as many of the shorter cats are well within 10' width. Although, I might suggest a vee-bottom, perhaps a Fountain 27 Fever??? I love mine......
Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered

price range would be helpful , if your looking at early 80's scarabs with 454's , you'll probably be selling in a couple of seasons anyway because fuel is expensive , 2 big blocks in an old heavy boat are gonna burn like 40 gallons an hour at full throttle and 20 gallons an hour (10 each) if your cruising at a steady speed not higher then 3000 rpm's , either way its expensive compared to a little newer single engine 26-28 footer that weighs half what the scarab does and does the same things performance wise on half the fuel
just my .02 , but mid 90's sonics / velocity's / baja's / checkmates are always for sale in the mid-20's to low 30's price range , and alot easier on the wallet to run
Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the 26 Hustler,26 sonic,and the 25 Active thunder. Buy something turnkey. Projects are fun IF you have an open check book.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I was a no-boat for years, and was looking to do exactly the same thing. I was really tempted to buy as big a boat as I could - looked at older boats in the 30+ foot range...even with twins...but then decided on an older (almost mint) '87 Formula 242ls (26' LOA) with a single 454. It's also about the largest boat I can confidently tow with my Dodge Durango--never having towed before, either.

I am really glad I exercised some self-control and went smaller. The Formula is really all the boat I can handle right now - hell, the thing seems huge to me just getting around the docks (an adventure, but practice is paying off) and I can't imagine how it would be in a 30+ boat. With a single engine, I can actually afford to run it, and it really didn't need any work. It's good that you have some knowledge with fiberglass and electronics--but save it for a project boat - not one you actually want to USE and enjoy right away.

Bsirk makes some good points, and Enforcer24, too. There are some nice boats in the 24-28' range. In a perfect world, I guess I would have liked to have started with a 20' boat and gradually moved up to a bigger one. But I'm about to turn 50 and frankly I don't have time for that. Right now, I know may look like a beginner...but only for a little while. The good advice and knowledge you will find here on OSO can help make you a better and wiser offshore owner...and get you there a little faster, too.

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Registered

Hey thanks for all the help and info! I'll have $25,000 to $30,000 in the boat fund as soon as one of my bikes sells. I've been tempted to pick up the Lambo v12's from the classifieds and get those working and drop them in something but I'm sure there will always be a better/bigger deal somewhere! And I hadn't even considered the upkeep on 2 engines in the budget. Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered

With the market the way it is you should be able to get a decent larger boat. Be sure you decide what kind of boating you want to do. If you are sure you want an offshore performance boat, be certain you want to do day boating and don't want to stay on it on weekends. The cabins are tiny until you get to the really big ones. Also, don't forget they kill you on insurance compared to other types of boats and a lot of people forget to figure that in.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ares5000
I finally have the truck, house and everything else sorted and figure it's time for a decent sized boat! I've been playing around with little ski boats and figure it's time to start running with the offshore guys! Or at least as much as my paycheck will allow for...

I was wondering if I should go for a bigger old boat (early '80s 29' Scarab with 454s that could use quite a bit of work) or something quite a bit smaller but new? Oh and my driveway is only 10' wide so a cat is sadly out of the question at the moment.

I'm fairly good around fiberglass and electronics. I've built a few custom sport bikes so I sorta know what I'm getting into with an old boat but transom and stringer replacement sounds a little scary. Any help would be great, thanks. Oh and I'm out in Southern California where finding a decent boat is damn near impossible! A road trip to FL is sounding better and better...
I would start w/single engine big block @ 25'-27' range. Also I would look for a boat w/fresh water history. Most any boat from Fl. is salt water, exposed to a lot of sun. If your going to go on any road trip, it's hard to ignore boats from the great lakes, LOTO's, etc.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Registered

28 Pantera
Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by ares5000
Hey thanks for all the help and info! I'll have $25,000 to $30,000 in the boat fund as soon as one of my bikes sells. I've been tempted to pick up the Lambo v12's from the classifieds and get those working and drop them in something but I'm sure there will always be a better/bigger deal somewhere! And I hadn't even considered the upkeep on 2 engines in the budget. Thanks again!

I would definately not get the Lambos. Where would you get parts????

25 to 30k can buy a decent early to mid 90's 26 footer.

I would get a single engine with your budget.

Quick Reply: First big boat recomendations??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.