Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
454mpi with procharger loses power ,smokes,etc... >

454mpi with procharger loses power ,smokes,etc...

Notices

454mpi with procharger loses power ,smokes,etc...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454mpi with procharger loses power ,smokes,etc...

hello dear friends...
i am having some issues with my new ride i fell in love with.

it is a 1998 american offshore 26 with a 454 mpi /procharger.

upon cold start,everything is great.i can get a good 15 min. of strong boating with the pyrometer showing 9 and no smoke or soot coming out..

after a good strong short ride, i get a power loss and cant get passed 4000 rpm.no throttle response,or at least very weak.
engine misfires.lots of fuel being dumped and smells fuel strong,soot covers the back of the boat quickly.
i noticed today for the 2nd time that after the issue shows up, my pyrometer gage goes down to "0"...

it idles very bad...
when cold again,like the next day, boat is a #1 for the 15-20 1st minutes again.. then same thing occured.

it uduslly gets 4800-4900 rpm...and used to stay very strong during my usual 30 min. rides...

i replaced the plugs thinking they were fouled ...but today found out it did it again.

anyone have any ideas ? or anyone know these procharger systems well ?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Does your motor have the vst system on it,could be dumping fuel into your motor but Ithink it would do it all the time,Smitty
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Registered

I have close to the same problem with a 95 502 efi baja first out will turn 63 mph AFTER 20 MIN best is 55 Blackens the back and will have fouled some plugs i had a stuck thermostat that was making it run rich fixed with a 160 everything sees to be working correct with that know.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Registered

What octane fuel are you running?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered

Have you replaced the distributor cap & rotor?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlong
I have close to the same problem with a 95 502 efi baja first out will turn 63 mph AFTER 20 MIN best is 55 Blackens the back and will have fouled some plugs i had a stuck thermostat that was making it run rich fixed with a 160 everything sees to be working correct with that know.
my setup has no tstat... so always below 140 ..
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bsirk
What octane fuel are you running?
87 or 89
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Have you replaced the distributor cap & rotor?
no ...

i took it out tonight..water was calm and even at cold start..it did the same thing. it smokes and smell terrible. idle is rough as if it is misfiring badly.
fuel pressure is at 47-50

i tried to go for ride but this time, i couldnt get it to plane there was not enough power at all. even tough i ushed the throttles, there was no power at all.

i noticed something new as well... at low rpm,1200-1500,trying to get some rpm with little throttle, i was hearing popping noises which seemed like backfiring inside under the hatch,.... not from the exhaust....non-stop little backfires..one after another...

maybe the cap is full of humidity from having washed the boat throughly ??maybe the little backfires i hear are caused the cap/rotor ...not sure...

could it be that a bad cap and rotor or one that has water will throw off the whole injection and make it run super rich ? or throw off the timing to the point where the power is all gone ?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are only running 87 or 89 octane your are probably detonating and the engine is pulling out timing and dumping fuel in it. If you've been doing this long you have probably also ruined your engine. Change your plugs and oil and put 91octane or better and see what you have.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevemamanfountain
no ...

i took it out tonight..water was calm and even at cold start..it did the same thing. it smokes and smell terrible. idle is rough as if it is misfiring badly.
fuel pressure is at 47-50

i tried to go for ride but this time, i couldnt get it to plane there was not enough power at all. even tough i ushed the throttles, there was no power at all.

i noticed something new as well... at low rpm,1200-1500,trying to get some rpm with little throttle, i was hearing popping noises which seemed like backfiring inside under the hatch,.... not from the exhaust....non-stop little backfires..one after another...

maybe the cap is full of humidity from having washed the boat throughly ??maybe the little backfires i hear are caused the cap/rotor ...not sure...

could it be that a bad cap and rotor or one that has water will throw off the whole injection and make it run super rich ? or throw off the timing to the point where the power is all gone ?
Not totally sure about the 454 MPI but that base fuel pressure sounds way high. I know that the mag motors run around 37 as a base. More fuel pressure will make it go WAY rich. It could be dumping a bunch of raw fuel in the exhaust

Ditto what Kenny said on fuel. Go with at least 91. Is the gas in the tank old?

Quick Reply: 454mpi with procharger loses power ,smokes,etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.