502 MPI aftermarket heads.......AFR/Brodix >

502 MPI aftermarket heads.......AFR/Brodix

Notices

502 MPI aftermarket heads.......AFR/Brodix

Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 502 MPI aftermarket heads.......AFR/Brodix

Looking to see if there is anyone that has any good or bad experiences with either head. Sounds like they are both good. Comparibly priced. Looking to replace the stock heads on my 96 502 mpi.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The AFR is as good as it gets. The Brodix is a good product, as are several others. The key here is how much do you want to spend and what are your expectations. Also, what else do you plan to do? Just heads isn't going to do much if you have stock intake & exhaust- and cam.

Sizing is important too. Monster ports are impressive on paper but may render your boat un-usable. You need an integrated plan, matching the heads and cam to your intake and exhaust flow capability.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

That is some pretty basic information. My motor is not stock or is the exhaust. I'm looking for some specific experiences or background information from people that have directly delt with AFR or Brodix heads........ Anyone?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Then I might suggest you describe your setup- what motor, drive & boat. The more specific you are, the better the info you'll get back. There are a number of different variables on these heads, from bare castings to complete, from as-cast to CNC ported to full-on hand-ported race heads.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

I don't think we are on the same page here. I'm not looking for a recommended intake runner CC, or specific p/n of head. Just personal experience with the brands..........
Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM

They're all quality products from well-respected companies thaty have been around for a while. For some reason, the Trick Flow heads aren't often seen in marine applications, but no one seems to know why. Stay away from the no-names on Ebay- other than that...
Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
That is some pretty basic information. My motor is not stock or is the exhaust. I'm looking for some specific experiences or background information from people that have directly delt with AFR or Brodix heads........ Anyone?

I have had both and they seem to be pretty equal...but I favor the Brodix for...
1. The flat machined surface under the rocker arm stud is bigger...afr has a very spall flat surface
2. The threaded holes in the studs and for the exhaust to bolt up are heli-coiled...afr heads are not...so when you screw in a bolt to tighten those headers down and you strip out the aluminum threads...then what do you do...metric??
3. If you want the holes heli-coiled in the AFR heads...you "will" pay for it...comes standard in the Brodix.
4. My motor seemed to like the Brodix better than the AFR heads...but this could just be me. Either way, the motor ran good with the AFR's on it, but it seemed like it "woke up" when I put the Brodix on.
5. My Brodix heads cam to me with springs matched to my roller cam, holes heli-coiled and Manley extreme stainless steel valves with inconell on the exhaust...AFR wanted several hundred dollars MORE for the same thing. I told them Hell no.

If you want a set of Brodix...I have a pretty good relationship with them...maybe I can ghet them for you at a better price. Dont know, but I will try if you want me to.

Last edited by pslonaker; 08-20-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
I don't think we are on the same page here. I'm not looking for a recommended intake runner CC, or specific p/n of head. Just personal experience with the brands..........
Got a buddy with a set of Brodix II aluminum heads on some 454's. He's happy as a pig in poo with them other than they are really too big for his motors. But he knows he is replacing the 454 short blocks they are currently sitting on with 502's in the near future so he only wanted to deal with buying new heads once. Anything in particular you want to know about them?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used both- recommend both. Match your intake/head cam combos carefully and you'll be a happy guy. They both offer a range of products.

Very loosely I'd say AFR makes a better small block head and Brodix makes a better big block head.

This is a real loose generality though, and I have Brodix track-1's in my small block and I know I'd pick up another 40hp with afr's but I'd pick it up higher in the rpm range.

Trick flows have valve issues, and you don't see many if any sprint car guys using them under sustained high rpm applications.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwod nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Uncle Dave is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Good stuff. That's what i'm looking for. I've made a call into Competitoin Products here in Oshkosh, WI. He also seemed preferred the Brodix heads over the AFR's. I did notice the helix coils on the Brodix over tapped holes on the AFR's. I was recommended the 305CC for the AFR's, but the Brodix is down to 312CC. The Competition guy said it wouldn't matter for the Brodix, but then the AFR guy said it would matter if i went from their 305cc to the 315cc. So i'm up in the air on that yet..............

Quick Reply: 502 MPI aftermarket heads.......AFR/Brodix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.