Notices

Rebuilding a trim pump

Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a trim pump

I want/ need to rebuild an old Prestolite pump. The motor ran in both directions in May so I believe it to be in the valve area.

Has anyone ever had one of these apart, are there any rebuild kits, do I just need o-rings and check balls.

Thank you
David
Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the motor turn in both directions and not move the drive?

If it does not turn in both directions then check your relays, they go bad all the time especially if the boat sits for a while.

If it turns in both directions but the drive does not move often times it can be rams that are seized up.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would be the best way to unseize the rams ? I have similar problems when one tab is all the way up. Thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try bleeding the return line and make sure you have enough fluid in the sump tank. With the drive all the way up the rams have used most of the fluid and the pump may be air locked.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had many stuck rams over the years , what happens is when the sit the seals get dry and wont let the rams move . Remove pin spray CRC or any lubricant while turning piston , this will lubricate seal .

Larry
Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry,

Thanks for the info about lubricating the ram/piston. Did not even consider that, let alone think it was that simple. I'll try it.

Thanks,

Tommy
Old 08-30-2023, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is anyone familiar with the internals of this pump? I'm trying to figure out what parts should be replaced if the pump is working fine but had some water mixed in. I think, haven't confirmed yet, I had a bad seal in a ram that let a bunch of water into the system and turned it to a milky mess. It also overflowed a bit into my bilge. (I saw that it was leaking on the way out but ended up putting a couple hundred miles on it after it overflowed. It runs fine, just needs to be cleaned and flushed so I opened it up).

The filters inside the revivor are torn apart pretty bad so I need those. I haven't seen any bad O-rings or anything else obvious.

Are there any parts aside from the filters that need to be replaced, any wear parts, or just O-rings? It looks like needle \ seat type of valves inside, do those wear \ need replacing typically? Anything else in the rebuild kit or should I put new O-rings and filters on it and run it?

thanks