New Stereo System Help/Opinions >

New Stereo System Help/Opinions

Notices

New Stereo System Help/Opinions

Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Stereo System Help/Opinions

Time to start thinking about a new stereo system. I have been reading the threads to see what everyone is using, seems to be a lot of JL, couple others. I have been out of the loop for a while but was big into car stereos when I was younger. I did love JL subs back in the day. So what would everyone recommend? I want to do a new head unit, with an IPOD hookup at the helm, probably 2 sets of components in the cockpit, and subs, and amps for all of course. Cabin not sure of, maybe add later. So any input on this stuff, brands, features, best combinations, etc? I like good CLEAN sound both high and low, tight bass, and a lot of volume. Quality of the stuff means a lot too. Also I dont want to use up too much space. Im pretty sure I want sealed enclosures for the subs, dont want to lose too much space though, and do you have to glass in the top, the seat wont seal it properly right? The current set up has 4 6x9 across the back under the seat so I have holes to work with although 4 subs prob overkill, have to fix the other 1 or 2. Is the JL stuff still set up to run 3 subs together at 2ohm? Is their marine stuff as good as the car stuff, any opinions? Also looking at their site a lot of their marine stuff has different model # but looks the same spec wise. What about head units, whats good these days? I want to use my IPOD touch plus have volume control etc remote on the dash.

Last edited by hotjava66; 02-18-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do audio for the marine industry and of course auto. If you would like to ask some questions or need some product support let me know, we also offer a nice oso discount!. Joe (419)524-3377, monday through friday 9-6
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered

Check out www.wetsounds.com. I'm a dealer for them and outfit all the local wakeboats and most powerboats with this equipment. The amps are marine-grade and play very efficiently, so they're not too hard on the batteries.

For the head unit and remotes, an Alpine CDA-9886M (or whatever they've got out for this year) is about the best. 4V preout, ipod connection through the head unit and remotes, and a few other nice features.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered

quick question, how do you figure acutal watts to each sub and ohms using a single channel amp to run 2,3,or 4 subs? been looking at some options, but i cant remember how to figure it
Old 02-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

DC Gold makes a very nice sounding 6x9 if you need to fill the holes. Crystal clear highs and put out a ton of bass.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
quick question, how do you figure acutal watts to each sub and ohms using a single channel amp to run 2,3,or 4 subs? been looking at some options, but i cant remember how to figure it
Depends on the impedance and how many woofers you have.

If it's a dual 4-ohm voice coil woofer, you can wire it in series to get 8ohm, or parrallel to get 2 ohm.

It would help to know what you have though, that's just an example.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

I was thinking I would use JL 10" subs, they are single 4ohm, rated for 250watts RMS each. So if you were to run 2 of them on a single channel 500 watt RMS amp would they get 250 each? Or if you ran 3 or 4 on that same amp what would you get?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered

Hotjava,

Are you going to use a JL amp for your all your speakers and subs?

I am thinking about adding 4 JL M770, has anyone used these?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Registered

Im thinking so, considering using one of their MHD900/5's to run everything if I can get some feedback from someone who has one. Probably 2 sets of m770'S and 2-4 10" subs. Or if it works better for the install a MHD600/4 for the components and a MHD 750/1 for the subs. I am a little afraid of overpowering them though, and dont want to degrade the sound. There is a great deal on Amazon right now on the MHD900/5
Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i been looking my self . here is a site my son has great resule with http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...ubwoofers.html very hard to pick . here wt i find out say your speakers are 200rms then your amp can be 250rms . they say you only trun the amp 3/4 volume then after that it is not clear sound . i am still asking ????before i buy .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.