Notices

Transon Assembly

Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Michael -

How far are you from the border? We could probably work something out if you were able to bring it across.
I am about 20 mins East of Toronto, a couple of hours from the border at Niagara Falls, and maybe 4 or 5 hours from Windsor, I also have a cottage near Kingston about an hour from the "Peace bridge" in Ganonoque.

What where you thinking? Do you do these kind of repairs? Let me know, and Thanks! for the help!

Michael
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Registered

Nope, no need to pull the motor. The 2 big ugly plugs in the transom assembly allow you to reach the bolt holding the upper swivel pin to the steering arm.
Like I said, get a bravo drive serice manual, it will walk you through the steps. And if you have the 12 point allen type hinge pins, buy the tool from a merc dealer. You might need an impact gun to get those out if your boat has seen salt water.
Oh yeah, and it's a good idea to replace your drive bellows while you have it apart.
Originally Posted by n20michael
It doesn't sound too incredibly difficult, but, I would still need to pull the motor out? I think that will be the "big ticket item" You are correct on the gimbal ring as well, I spoke to a mechanic last year who mentioned the same thing.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rdoactive
Nope, no need to pull the motor. The 2 big ugly plugs in the transom assembly allow you to reach the bolt holding the upper swivel pin to the steering arm.
Like I said, get a bravo drive serice manual, it will walk you through the steps. And if you have the 12 point allen type hinge pins, buy the tool from a merc dealer. You might need an impact gun to get those out if your boat has seen salt water.
Oh yeah, and it's a good idea to replace your drive bellows while you have it apart.
Great, I will look into that. Just curious? If I was to buy a complete Bravo Transom Assembly, could I replace it without pulling the motor? Or do I need the "two ugly plugs" in the bracket to install the "new" transom assembly?

Thanks for the help rdoactive!

Michael

PS: I wish I was closer to St Louis, I would have you do it! LOL
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

If you would replace the whole transom assembly, you would almost have to remove the motor. The back of the motor rests on the inner transom plate.
Now just watch, someone will post they swapped theirs out while hanging the engine in place from the oak tree in their back yard.
Oh yeah, the ring repair, $225 for repair or $700 for a new one.
http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm

Last edited by rdoactive; 03-02-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rdoactive
If you would replace the whole transom assembly, you would almost have to remove the motor. The back of the motor rests on the inner transom plate.
Now just watch, someone will post they swapped theirs out while hanging the engine in place from the oak tree in their back yard.
Oh yeah, the ring repair, $225 for repair or $700 for a new one.
http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm
Oh I have NO interest in pulling the motor out, using an Oak tree or otherwise, its a GIANT pain to do, so, thats what I am trying to avoid. Sounds like the repair might be the way to go, any idea where I could get a list of parts needed to completely rebuild the gimble? Does Mercury or anyone else sell a "rebuild kit"? or will I have to track down all the seals, gaskets, shims, etc, seperately?

Thanks for the input! If I can fix this without having to pull the motor it will save me a good chunk of cash, and a good chunk of frustration.

Thanks!
Michael
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

michael it's not terrably complicated where is your boat at i live at the lake and am a marine mechanic have been doing it for 14 years if the boat is down here or you can bring it down here i could do it for you or help and show you how to do it i have all the tools that are needed. on the gimbal ring if you are not in a huge hurry and its just worn out at the pin it can be sent to jr marine and be fixed for alot less than a new ring let me know if i can help.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Registered

Parts list, here's a start. I dont think there's a kit.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec..._nbr=BRAVO+ONE
The manual will have a list of what to replace. It will also list prper adhesives, sealer, lubricants, etc.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Registered

Thanks again guys, this has REALLY been a big help!

Last Year I had a "noise" in the motor and ended up having to have it pulled and the top end rebuilt, a few weeks later the leak started at the transom, been a rough year!

Sikinboat: I have sent you a PM, THANKS! for the offer, thats damn decent of you!

Rdoactive: Appreciate the link, will check it out for sure! and thanks again for all the help, I do appreciate it!

Is there any way to tell if I need a complete "ring" or if I can get away with just fixing the existing one and replacing the swivel pin/seal?

Thanks!
Michael
Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

In my little world, by the time you add up the time to send out the ring to be rebuilt and bellows being replaced I'd think new assembly would yield larger benifits long before the time comes to sell. New assembly = easier, faster, a little more $ but way more better!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Registered

AO31, I wholeheartedly agree, though I can take it one step further: Buy a used takeoff assembly from me, in excellent freshwater condition, at a great price!

Harry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.