Notices

Idle surge?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idle surge?

My Baja with a 454EFI has a "surge" at idle, it only surges a couple of hundred RPM's but, its kind of annoying, last spring I had the boat checked over and the mechanic said he "cleaned" some Idle valve or Idle control or something like that [sorry, I cant remember the exact name] but, he also told me it would need to be replaced in the next little while, anyone know what he was talking about? LOL, I would like to get one and swap it out before I splash the boat, Thanks for any input!

Michael
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. Throttle cable to tight - no slack
2. Timing is wrong
Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try cleaning the backside of the throttle plate,,,its easy and should help,,,let us know
Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

Throttle cable and timing are fine. How do I go about cleaning "backside" of throttle Plate? I had the top end of the motor rebuilt last year, runs great other than the slight surge at idle. Thanks!

Michael
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by n20michael
Throttle cable and timing are fine. How do I go about cleaning "backside" of throttle Plate? I had the top end of the motor rebuilt last year, runs great other than the slight surge at idle. Thanks!

Michael
non chlorinated brake cleaner and a tooth brush,while your at it clean the idle air control motor also,,if that don't do it check the tps voltage with a ohm meter,should be under 1.0 volt,,,but more like .40 to .60 volts,,if you turned your idle up that would do it to...if none of this works then you may have a vacuum leak..
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle surge

yea mine does that too.. both engines??? I have contacted the cam manufacture.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Baja with a 454EFI has a "surge" at idle, it only surges a couple of hundred RPM's but, its kind of annoying, last spring I had the boat checked over and the mechanic said he "cleaned" some Idle valve or Idle control or something like that [sorry, I cant remember the exact name] but, he also told me it would need to be replaced in the next little while, anyone know what he was talking about? LOL, I would like to get one and swap it out before I splash the boat, Thanks for any input!

Michael
Probably needs a new IAC valve.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Registered

IAC Valve and Idle control motor BOTH sound very familiar, are they easy/cheap to fix? or clean? I have no idea where they are, so, if you can Email/post/PM me and let me know where they are and where to buy them I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Actually when the boat first starts the idle stays "stable", but, if I give it a "shot of gas" [in neutral] the idle starts to surge, I am not sure if thats relevant or not? but, figured it coudln't hurt to let everyone know, like I said, other than that it seems to run great!

Thanks!
Michael
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

IAC Valve and Idle control motor BOTH sound very familiar, are they easy/cheap to fix? or clean? I have no idea where they are, so, if you can Email/post/PM me and let me know where they are and where to buy them I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks!
Michael
Your idle issues are from one of 2 things. Either the IAC motor (idle air control) is not seating properly any more or the throttle position sensor is bad.

The IAC motor should be on top of the motor either behind or in front of the throttle body and the TPS sensor will be on one side of the throttle body on one end of the shaft that goes straight through the throttle body.

The IAC motors will run you approx $100 and you will have to get these from a marina that sells merc parts and the TPS sensors are approx$30 or so from auto zone if I remember
right.

Either one will only take you approx 5-10 minutes to replace.

I had the same issues with both of my 350 mags last year and said screw it and replaced them both on both motors versus trying to clean them again.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Registered

My boat has the "454EFI" motor, which is similiar to the 454/502 Mag, the plenum is "flat" and the air cleaner faces the right side of the boat, do I need to remove the top of the plenum to get to either one of these parts?

Thanks!
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.