Bravo 1 stuck in gear.. Videos attached.. HELP >

Bravo 1 stuck in gear.. Videos attached.. HELP

Notices

Bravo 1 stuck in gear.. Videos attached.. HELP

Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you access the nuetral saftey switch to hold it in manually while cranking the motor? Not sure I'd keep on forcing the shifter into N to trip the switch. Might chance creating another problem.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can roll the motor over and pull back on the lever and it will go back to neutral. All that is necessary is have the pinion gear driving the two driven gears. As they rotate the high and low spots on the bump rings (as they have been called) will allow the shift fork to move the cone clutch up and down. If the driven gears are not turning, the cam and fork will not move if the bump rings are at their highest and lowest spot. Sometimes if they are rotated so they are not at the highest point, you can make it shift back into neutral. But yours stopped at the worst spot, and wont allow the fork to move.

I have drained down a drive so the oil level was just below the bottom gear and fired up the motor to see what happens inside with oil being pumped up from the lower, etc. As the gears turn you can see the space between them jump up and down as the high and low spots converge. That is what makes it work, so it must be turning to shift it properly.

Hope that helps.
Dick

PS. I should only take about 2 revolutions of the motor to get it shifted back to neutral. Go ahead and do it with the back cap off.. it wont hurt it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

US1,
you are correct, you never want to pull back on the shift lever if the motor isnt turning. He has it stuck in the farthest postion.. pulling on the shift lever will break the linkage in the drive. He will have to bypass the switch or hot wire it to turn it over.
I have a spot in the engine compartment, when I lash valves to turn the motor over.. And a switch on the dash to bypass the safety switch.. when the motor quits or I run out of gas.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shift Yoke....

It is possible that during your shifting mishap that the ramp on the shift yoke has become significantly gouged making shifting all the more difficult. I would recommend you inspect the yoke again and replace it if worn excessively, and replace the shift cable.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I would be cautios of is that while trying to force it into neutral, you might have stretched your cable a bit causing some misalignment issues. If you have a shift linkage alignment tool, I would check your shift mechinism in the engine compartment prior to really running the boat. Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Finally fixed last night... The clutch was stuck in some kind of a bind... I took a rubber mallet and knocked the clutch up and down a little then stood on the prop and turned the motor over a few times... After that I was able to put a ton of force back on the shift control and turn the key and it finally slipped back into neutral. After this I tested forward and reverse and neutral numerous times and it worked fine. Not sure what wAs stuck but something was unhappy
Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm serious... check your cable adjustment with the mercury tool. If you are out of adjustment, you WILL eat your drive. Just becasue it shifts in and out, it does not mean it is fully engaged...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

I don't think there will be any wear on the shift fork cam. It is pretty hard material. The motor stopped for lack of fuel. So nothing inside should be gouged or worn, if it was running fine before that (meaning everything was adjusted correctly).

Now turning the motor over by standing on the prop.. well... My thought was to turn the motor over with the starter motor using a wire to bypass the safety switch. Or jumping the solenoid wiring in the engine compartment to get it to roll over.
Depending on how much force you needed to get the lever back far enough to engage the safety switch, could do some damage to the cable and linkage.
The reason the cone was wedged into the gear is because that is what happens when you put the drive in gear. The cone is forced into the gear and sticks there. That is how it holds the mega horsepower going thru the drive. When you shift it into neutral, the bump rings pop it out of gear..
If you could have rolled the motor over without putting pressure on the shifter, until it was turning, you would find it would have popped right out of gear and not cause any streching or damage..
Hopefully that has not happened. And things will be ok.
But it is a good idea to check the linkage adjustments to make sure..
Hope that helps..
Dick
Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Been great help... I will put a linkage measured on it before this weekend to make sure all is well. I also ordered the bravo 1 manual for future issues. Hopefully I will be tearing up the waters this weekend
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Have fun!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.