Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Bravo 1 stuck in gear.. Videos attached.. HELP (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/229127-bravo-1-stuck-gear-videos-attached-help.html)

FuelinAround 04-25-2010 05:22 PM

Bravo 1 stuck in gear.. Videos attached.. HELP

As you know, I was out the other day and on the way back to dock I ran the boat port motor out of gas (yes I know stupid). Well the boat was in drive when it ran out. I did throttle it down but when the motor died it was at low rpm's in forward. After gassing up I couldn't get the boat to shift back into neutral. I played around with it. I would have to hold the shifter back to trick it into thinking it was in neutral and then it would start in forward gear and not allow me to shift back. Today I tried to pull the drive (Bravo 1) and the shift cable was so tight that I couldnt get to the shift fork to disconnect the cable so I had to drain the drive and take off the rear plate. I then took out the carter pink and disconnected the shift fork and pulled the drive off. I was able to get the prop to spin in free motion like it was in neutral but cant get the mechanism to go far enough rcounter clockwise to actually be in the neutral position. What I mean is the shift fork wont stick out the back side of the drive at all far enough to even attach to the cable. I attached two videos where you can see the play in the gears. Both drives were rebuilt 2 years ago and all the bearings and teeth look imaculate. I am wondering if something is just out of alignment. Any ideas? On the right side of the bottom circle clutch "thingy" I can feel a small ramp that I beleive is supposed to go onto the forward surface and life the whole mechanism UP to put it in neutral. Did something just get turned out of wack or froze up? There are NO metal parcels anywhere
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5lmP1laFMs[/YOUTUBE]

FuelinAround 04-25-2010 08:42 PM

Im guessing since 45 people ahve looked at this and there are absolutely no responses I might have struck a real problem.

Sunshadow 04-25-2010 08:43 PM

Have you actually pulled the drive off?

Sunshadow 04-25-2010 08:49 PM

after it died did you put it in neutral or did you drive back with it in gear running the starboard engine? how do you run out of fuel on one engine?

FuelinAround 04-25-2010 08:52 PM

Yes I have completely pulled the drive. When I pulled the drive I disconnected the shifter fork to take the cable out of the picture. It still wouldn't shift into other gears. I have two tanks on my boat and each one is hard wired to the other motor. I was literally about 300 yards from the dock when it ran out lol. And NO it wouldn't go back into neutral so I had to leave it in drive and ran the starboard motor back in.

Sunshadow 04-25-2010 08:56 PM

I'll talk to my guys who know more than me tomorrow and see what I can find out. Seems wierd I don't think running out of gas and shifting problems are related.

Sunshadow 04-25-2010 09:18 PM

Where your hand is in the first part of the video is the shift lever. Where you pulled the "cotter pin" that attaches to the link bar. The link bar attaches to your shift cable and has a "latch" which on the rear has is u shaped and hooks into the link bar. If that isn't attached properly it might be jamming inside the case. You said you could get it into neutral when you pulled the cotter pin? When your drive was off did the the shift lever at the helm operate smoothly? If they did I think your problem is in that link bar area. If you're going to do your own work get yourself a Merc or Seloc shop manual. It's well worth the twenty or thirty bucks.

FuelinAround 04-25-2010 10:04 PM

Yes the cable works fine when I had the cotter pin pulled from the link bar where it attaches to the shift lever. This is how I narrowed down that the problem seems to be in the shifting mechanism above it. I cant rotate that shifting assembly (or atleast cant figure out how) to get it to engage into any other gears while the drive is installed. When the drive was off I finally for the prop to spin freely but still seemed as if the shift work was in a forward position. What I mean by this is I couldn;t ever get the link bar to come out of the front side of the drive far enough to attach the shifter cable.

Mr Gadgets 04-26-2010 07:55 AM

Ky,
you need to rotate the input shaft on the front of the drive in order to shift it.
The driven gears have brass rings on them. They have a high and a low side to them. If you attemt to shift it without turning the input shaft it will hit one of the brass rings and seem to be locked up. With the input shaft turning and the driven gears rotating. the space between the rings moveds up and down. The shift fork cam hits the high side of a ring when you move the shift lever and forces it out of one gear and into neutral or the next gear.
So to fix your problem.. rotate the input shaft with pressure on the shift lever.. it will then shift into each gear.
Put it into fwd and reconnect your linkage with the cotter pin. Now rotate shaft and shift into rew.. linkage will be sticking out of the front of the drive, so you can connect cable as it is slid back into place.

Hope that helps..

I have a switch wired to bypass the safey neutral switch. When the motor dies in gear, I push switch and either start in in gear (not recommended because of safety issues) or pull the tether cord so it wont start, but will turn over as you pull back on the shift lever..

Dick

FuelinAround 04-26-2010 08:31 AM

Since the drive is reinstalled now but still stuck in forward.....would cranking the motor and pulling back on the shift control do the same thing as rotating the shaft and pushing on the shift lever. I drained 80% of the lube out but I figure as long as I am just trying to shift it and not run it it should be ok to try and perform this task? All the bearings still have plenty of lube on them. OR is this a task that needs to be performed with the drive off? To get everything synced back in order. My question really is what causes this to happen where the boat wont come out of drive back into neutral and how will just rotating the shaft to get it to shift change this?