Notices

Stalling 502

Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnlaskowski
You need to check your fuel pressure when its ding the spitting and spuddering. i just went through this with my 97 502 in my sonic. was fine at idle but when it came to a load and more fuel needed the pump couldnt hang and pressure would fall off. NEEDED PUMP. just my two cents.
Actually, the fuel pump is good, because the engine runs out real strong. We (meaning the mechanic at my marina and myself) think, after hours of deliberating and theorizing, that the cam in the water pump housing that pushes the fuel pump lever is starting to wear out and sometimes it slips inside there. The boat hadn't done it in about700 gallons of fuel, but it did it again yesterday. I had forgotten how to work around it for a few minutes. I am actually just looking for a good deal on some fresh take outs to put into the boat and tear these down and use the long block to build a nice set of blower engines out of for my Nor Tech.

They work fine for a cruiser. As long as they idle around the and put put around the lake, I am fine. I am more worried about the generator, AC, blender in this boat working well.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could it be vapor lock. fuel boiling off in the metal fuel line befor it hits the carb?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jbones98
could it be vapor lock. fuel boiling off in the metal fuel line befor it hits the carb?
Are you talking about mine?

I don't have carbs. Mine are MPI's. It could be a loose injector line as well or something allowing the fuel to warm and vaporize before getting shot into the engine.

This engine is the one that was supposed to be rebuilt before I bought the boat, so it is possible that it was not assembled properly.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbones98
I'm confused...are you talking to Dirt or Jeff?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck27
I'm confused...are you talking to Dirt or Jeff?
I am going to get off this one, so I don't further hi jack this thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I am going to get off this one, so I don't further hi jack this thread.
Oh no...You took me wrong. I've had some of the same problems so I want to see how this plays out. Sorry!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

I removed the mechanical pump on the sea pump, it didn't have any fuel in it and the hose from the tank had plenty. So I have a new fuel pump coming and will pressure test it with a new on. I did find a replacement at half the cost of anywhere at Auto Zone! he original is a Carter 60932 by Federal Mogul and couldn't find it anywhere for less than $160. So since the VST is the supply for the high pressure pump and I think it was not staying full due to the mechanical pump failing I am starting there. I am also replacing the sea pump just to be sure it keeps it's cool as it is 16 years old. Thanks again for all the good advice.