Notices

Merc 1075 Overheating

Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Boys Toys,
No I have #6 drives my pickups are on the transom on my Nortech Cat. Yet to pull off any coolers hopefully this week I can get to it and let you guys know unless anyone else has a solution
Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered

nsxpert, I'm having the exact same problem with my starboard motor. Have you resolved your problem? What was the problem?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Registered

Tsunami LC,
I noticed my water pump was leaking thru the wheep hole in the front so I rebuilt the pump hoping it was airating and overheating. Took her out this weekend and it ran fin never really pushed it past 110 but still noticed the temp was like 5-8 degrees warmer. Not 100% sure it it solved my problem. Hoping I can figure it out before the Keywest poker run in a few weeks. If you find anything else as the culpret with yours let me know.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered

nsxpert,
I have my boat out for the winter with other projects (paint, drives, etc), but I will let you know what if anything I find when I run it again in the spring. Thanks and good luck in Key West
Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nsxpert
My stbd engine is overheating in high RPM only. In Idle its fine it could run all day at about 150. I just replaced all 3 impellers in the raw water pump and im getting great water pressure but it still gets hot when running hard. I'm guesssing I probably have some seaweed or sand that passed through the strainers. Anyone experienced this and had good results?

Maybe backflushing the system? Possibly inside the oil cooler? What would be the easiest way to backflush the system where to start and finish? Or any other suggestions.
Could this be running lean? I am not very familiar with these engines but I do allot with turbocharged and N/A car engines.

Many times when we see a part throttle over heating issue it ends up being a lean spot in the throttle posistion. That can account for highway overheating at a set RPM like 3500 where it doesnt over heat if it stays under 3000 etc.

Do you have O2 sensors of anykind on it?

Last edited by 30ctsutphen; 10-21-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
If your engines were working fine before you changed the water pump impellers, then you may have torn and broke off your new ones. Sometimes it takes a while to prime your water pump after new impellers are installed. If this is not done correctly, you can destory your new impellers. After you changed your impellers, did you start your engines in the water for the first time or on the trailer with a water hose. Hopefully you have a seperate water hose connection on your boat and you do not have to rely on those water clamps that attach to your stern drive. If you started up your motor in the water for the first time and left it at idle, you may not had enough RPM to prime your water pump. Result is broken impeller blades.
Just a tip I always pack my impellers with vasaline or something that will lubricate them for a few minutes while they prime it will also creat more suction with the better seal which can help prime them better in the first place.

anyone else do that?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
Just a tip I always pack my impellers with vasaline or something that will lubricate them for a few minutes while they prime it will also creat more suction with the better seal which can help prime them better in the first place.

anyone else do that?
No, I was always told petroleum jelly causes a shorter life span.

I use non petroleum lube found at most pool stores for pool orings http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipm...mula-327-Lube/
Old 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Pit
Registered

Originally Posted by nsxpert
Tsunami LC,
I noticed my water pump was leaking thru the wheep hole in the front so I rebuilt the pump hoping it was airating and overheating. Took her out this weekend and it ran fin never really pushed it past 110 but still noticed the temp was like 5-8 degrees warmer. Not 100% sure it it solved my problem. Hoping I can figure it out before the Keywest poker run in a few weeks. If you find anything else as the culpret with yours let me know.
Do you have harden marine sea stainers? And PSI blow off valves? Some times the valves go bad or get crap in them and then let airation happen. We will be going to KW and be down in S Florida before the poker run. Let us know if you need any assistance.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Pit
Registered

856 425 1474

Last edited by Pit; 10-21-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bus
No, I was always told petroleum jelly causes a shorter life span.

I use non petroleum lube found at most pool stores for pool orings http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipm...mula-327-Lube/
Soap works well also. Standard liquid dish soap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.