Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Exhaust diverters & Y-Pipes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/250191-exhaust-diverters-y-pipes.html)

242LS 03-27-2011 08:28 AM

Exhaust diverters & Y-Pipes

I have a set of Silent Choice exhaust diverters I bought last summer to install. Now I'm not sure it it worth it and may just go straight thru hull. I want to do a "quick in-water test" with straight thru hull and can decide for sure if I want to go with diverters or not. HOWEVER, I don't want to have to pull the engines and remove the Y-pipes...

Do they make "end caps" that I can use to close off the tops of the Y-pipes? I haven't had any luck searching online. Thanks.

brian41 03-27-2011 08:33 AM

Go to Lowes and get 4 inch rubber sewer caps.

242LS 03-27-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by brian41 (Post 3360812)
Go to Lowes and get 4 inch rubber sewer caps.

Thanks - I was thinking about that - but I wasn't sure round caps would fit good on the oval top of the Y-pipe. I suppose there's no pressure or anything to worry about... Worth a try (and probably save a lot of ca$h).

pitts1313 03-27-2011 09:34 AM

Be a good idea to double clamp each one.

apollard 03-28-2011 09:15 AM

I'd consider bracing the y-pipe if you did this. With it hooked to the exhaust, it is braced by some the risers. Without that, you have a large cantilevered aluminum tube hanging there. Cracking would concern me, especially since it opens a large hole in the transom if cracked.

Blueabyss 03-28-2011 01:33 PM

Diverters

There are rubber connectors on top of the y pipe in stock form that connect the diverters to the y pipe.. Exhaust hose does not work well since like you said its oval. You connect these rubbers to the y pipe and then put the 4 inch caps in the top of the rubbers if you are not using the diverters . I might have a set if you are interested. As for the diveretes, if you decide not to the use them, I might be interested in them.

[email protected]

Chris

242LS 03-28-2011 09:23 PM

Good point Apollard. I may just install the diverters and be done (ofcourse I think I need to get 3" spacers to lift the risers for the correct angle).

BlueAbyss - I appreciate the offer. When I bought the diverters of eBay last summer, it included Y pipes and I told the guy to keep them to lower the shipping costs. In hindsight, that was giving away money...

Just waiting for some warmer weather here. I've got a lot to do!

FIXX 03-28-2011 09:53 PM

Fixx

4'' rubber caps are to big,the y should be oval and the 4'' ones fit loosly..3.5'' will work and have to be stretched over the oval opening..the bummer is if you have the exhaust flappers in the y pipe and when you remove them the rubber caps wont cover the holes in the in the y pipe because their to short..the way i have done it in the past is leave the existing rubber exhaust bellow and make a oval plug out of plastic,stick the plug in the exhaust bellow and 5200 and clamp it..
by the time you go through all the bs you may as well install the QQ..

bigredbaja 03-29-2011 05:33 PM

y pipecaps

Originally Posted by 242LS (Post 3360809)
I have a set of Silent Choice exhaust diverters I bought last summer to install. Now I'm not sure it it worth it and may just go straight thru hull. I want to do a "quick in-water test" with straight thru hull and can decide for sure if I want to go with diverters or not. HOWEVER, I don't want to have to pull the engines and remove the Y-pipes...

Do they make "end caps" that I can use to close off the tops of the Y-pipes? I haven't had any luck searching online. Thanks.

CP Performance sells them, part number 410-280160 for $109.99/set. Young Performance installed a set on my boat last summer when i added an IMCO system but did not want to pay extra labor to pull the engine at that time. they are stainless steel and dont leak!

242LS 03-30-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigredbaja (Post 3363013)
CP Performance sells them, part number 410-280160 for $109.99/set. Young Performance installed a set on my boat last summer when i added an IMCO system but did not want to pay extra labor to pull the engine at that time. they are stainless steel and dont leak!

Cool. Thanks!