Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Adding trim tabs? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/254411-adding-trim-tabs.html)

Eclipse232 05-25-2011 01:52 PM

Adding trim tabs?

Gentlemen,

Ive got a 23' Wellcraft Eclipse and I was thinking about adding a set of trim tabs. The boat only does 55 so I dont need an expensive set of k-planes. The boat tends to come off of a wave and hit the left side pretty hard, scaring the hell out of my girlfriend, I think its pretty funny but she doesnt appreciate it very much haha. Sometimes the bay gets a little rough so the tabs could help a little.

So I was looking into some trim tabs. Any ideas on what sizes I would need?

Thanks for any help guys

GTOFFSHORE 05-25-2011 02:00 PM

Probably small bennetts will work. Doubt it will fix the slamming issue tho. They work if you have trouble staying on plane at low speeds or need to balance boat because of bad weight distribution. Also if you are in decent seas and need to keep nose down and be able to trim for rpm. Other than that all they do is slow you down(;

Too Stroked 05-25-2011 06:25 PM

A 23' Wellcraft is a fairly heavy boat. I'd recommend at least a 12" x 12" tab - or close to it. If you're going to install them yourself, Lencos are probably the easiest to install with Boat Leveler and Bennett tabs next on the list.

As for how (and where) to mount them, that's a whole different story with lots of things to consider and worry about. Do a little searching in these forums and you'll find plenty of posts with that information. The instructions are generally a pretty good guide too. If you've never done any marine installation work though, I'd suggest professional help. You can really mess up a boat with a few simple mistakes.

One last thought. You noted that the boat lands pretty hard on the port side. I'm assuming it takes off level though. That's a sign of a problem. If you add tabs and try to correct it, all you're going to do is make it lean to starboard while running so it lands level. That's not good.

fastscarab22 05-25-2011 07:39 PM

the electratabs work well , less weight and work well for small boat. maybe do not trim that high and you will cut the wave and not hit it. more bow in the water

Eclipse232 05-26-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3412826)
A 23' Wellcraft is a fairly heavy boat. I'd recommend at least a 12" x 12" tab - or close to it. If you're going to install them yourself, Lencos are probably the easiest to install with Boat Leveler and Bennett tabs next on the list.

As for how (and where) to mount them, that's a whole different story with lots of things to consider and worry about. Do a little searching in these forums and you'll find plenty of posts with that information. The instructions are generally a pretty good guide too. If you've never done any marine installation work though, I'd suggest professional help. You can really mess up a boat with a few simple mistakes.

One last thought. You noted that the boat lands pretty hard on the port side. I'm assuming it takes off level though. That's a sign of a problem. If you add tabs and try to correct it, all you're going to do is make it lean to starboard while running so it lands level. That's not good.

What do you think the problem could be then? Also what would be wrong with using the tabs to level it out?

Dave M 05-26-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eclipse232 (Post 3413376)
What do you think the problem could be then? Also what would be wrong with using the tabs to level it out?

I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal for a boat with a RH prop. When coming off a wave and a lot of the hull is out of the water the prop torque rolls the boat to the left.

I think tabs will help. They will not slow you down when they are fully retracted.

A.O. Razor 05-26-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eclipse232 (Post 3413376)

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 3413497)
I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal for a boat with a RH prop. When coming off a wave and a lot of the hull is out of the water the prop torque rolls the boat to the left.

I think tabs will help. They will not slow you down when they are fully retracted.

Another thing to look for is balance. Do you have an extra batt. in the port side, gear, achor ect. You can try to move things around and see if that helps too. But yes, prop torque plays in too.

Just curious. What prop are you running?

Eclipse232 05-26-2011 12:34 PM

Ok thats sounds a little better, thats what I was thinking it was. My uncle's boat used to do the same thing and the second he put the left tab down he was fine. So i figured this was pretty much the same scenario.

I was just wondering what size trim tabs I would need for the boat?

Eclipse232 05-26-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3413535)
Another thing to look for is balance. Do you have an extra batt. in the port side, gear, achor ect. You can try to move things around and see if that helps too. But yes, prop torque plays in too.

Just curious. What prop are you running?

Actually now that you mention it, I do have an extra battery on the left side of the boat. All of the gear and anchors are right in the middle of the cabin. Can one battery make that much of a difference?

Also the prop is a Mirage Plus 21p

A.O. Razor 05-26-2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eclipse232 (Post 3413552)
Actually now that you mention it, I do have an extra battery on the left side of the boat. All of the gear and anchors are right in the middle of the cabin. Can one battery make that much of a difference?

Also the prop is a Mirage Plus 21p

An easy way to find out, is to put in a counter weight that weights the same as the batt. I've used large gas cans ect. with water and barbell weights in the past. Just strap them down if possible though, or move your gear to starboard. You can also just try and put your gf in the starboard backseat and see if that makes a diff.

It might just be the prop torque as Dave M suggested, but sometimes small things make a big diff.

The reason why I asked to your prop was simply because, if you run a large 4 or 5 blade prop, that can sometimes worsen prop torque. The M+ should be fine thou. If anyone you boat with, has a LaserII you can borrow, it's always worth a try, since it is smaller in diameter, but it might be too small.
My point is. Get the basic setup right, before spending any money. I general, tabs on a 23' is worth having IMO.