Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
What do you mean that floor/deck panel won't come up? >

What do you mean that floor/deck panel won't come up?

Notices

What do you mean that floor/deck panel won't come up?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default What do you mean that floor/deck panel won't come up?

Some times it pays to be a red neck

If you have an inspection cover this worked well for me. I used a metal rod running under the deck (hooked to come along) to spread the load.
Before figuring this out, I cut the seam of 5200 best I could and the thing would not budge no matter what I tried. Hooked this contraption up and even though it didn't move at first, I put it under as much load w/o doing damage as I could and moved to something else. Couple minutes later it had pulled loose. Put a wedge under the panel, cranked the come along a couple more clicks and did same. Couple min's later it moved again. The sealant has enough elasticity to it it stretch's before giving way.
Use a similar jig previously to pull the fuel tank.

Love my $19.99 Walmart come along almost as much as my hammer.

Did this to replace an eratic sending unit and check a p/u for the port engine which seems to have a starvation issue and ended up learning some things along the way.

W/the sending unit out I used a light to inspect the inside of the tank. Was seeing/remembering that the bottom 1/2 of the tank is the same angle as the bottom of the Vee while the top 1/2 is square. That would explain why the boat seems to run all day on the 1st 1/2 tank of gas and inhale the 2nd 1/2 Never even thought about it but the bottom 1/2 of the tank probably holds 1/3 the volume as the top 1/2 but the gauge doesn't know this.
Duh.

2nd lesson was while pressure testing the p/u unit in a bucket of water. @ 10 psi it was impossible to keep the hose from leaking at the clamp w/a single clamp in place no matter how tight. Of course this fitting is not under pressure but everything past the pumps are and may effect the pump (cavitation) being able to pull fuel up out of the tank.
Coast Guard requires doubles on everything anyhow but...
This was on push lock style fittings.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 08-20-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red Neck in all of us sometimes but if it works go with it
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

Nice work getting that off! Why was 5200 used and not 4200, had this been off before?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Gold Member

did i miss something?you had to cut the floor out to change the sending unit and pickup?what a pain in the azz.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

It's an old Sonic. J Ross didn't build them to take apart. I once had to remove Gil OB brackets off my 33' and it was difficult to say the least.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Registered

Nice rig, always enjoy your projects.The 2x4's would have been stronger the other way. Excellent idea for the future.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Jeff Foxworthy says" Redneck used to be an insult...now it's a badge of honor"

Good Thinking.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts

You know you're old when you get e-mail alerts to a goofy thread on removing a floor when you realize it's your thread
Yes, the boat's an '85 and they didn't expect that deck to come out.
Better than the 1st one I had as it still had the rubber floor down and I spent 2 days soaked in acetone getting it up.
This was 2nd time for me though and I "glued" it down last time to help tie the boat together. I don't like their design for the stringers/inner liner as it has a weak point at the front edge of that floor.
And yes, it had to come out to change the sending unit. Access panels were never centered over it from the factory.
I know on the 2X4's too. They kept rolling on the angle of the windshield frame while I was mocking it up. I figured I'd have to change them before it would lift the floor but got lucky.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered

You might be a Redneck if...

Redneck Engineering...