Switch from Alpha to Bravo. >

Switch from Alpha to Bravo.

Notices

Switch from Alpha to Bravo.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Switch from Alpha to Bravo.

If I decide to switch...how involved is the transom cut out difference? Is the opening larger and will it swallow the Alpha opening or do I face filling in at some point.

With the additional number of used Bravo One transom assemblies and out drives showing up at reasonable prices...this becoming more of a viable and reliable swap out option.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No difference in the cut out, you only need to drill two more holes. You need to install a raw water pump on the engine, since the B1 does not have an impeller in the drive like the Alpha does.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this swap to my 242 this year... Super easy, I used the inner plate bolted up as a guide to drill the two additional holes, then bolted everything up.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

sprink, let me know how it goes... I'm thinking the same thing
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 177 Likes on 65 Posts

Remember though that a straight Alpha to Bravo swap (with no changes in power) will loose you several miles per hour due to the increased drag of the Bravo.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

this is also true I lost 4 mph doing this swap but its much more reliable with the bravo.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

Does anyone know the weight difference between the two?

I'm already looking at a very small freeboard at the stern, to the point where hanging fenders against a dock is a PITA, I don't think i could sacrifice much more back there without alum heads, and manifolds
Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well...I decided to stay with Alphas...Alpha II's that is. This boat is a candidate for Big Blocks, it had a twin 454/TRS option when new....but with the reliability and power produced by twin Vortec Roller Cam small blocks and considering that this rig weighs in at about 5700 lbs dry with twin SBC's, I think 700~750 HP and 850 ft lbs will get this old gal up and moving quite well.

If this was 272 I was building I think I would do the big blocks/Bravos.

I read a Boat Test recently on a 292 FasTech with twin 350 Mags on Alpha II's that made 72 MPH. Now I know we cant compare hull design but I think on this 255 I get more bang for the buck staying with the Alpha's.

I have also noticed that once you get into the Bravo's the cost of everything just about doubles.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

ndorfer15, I havent put either on a scale but going by the sh!t or oh sh!t factor I would say between 50-75 lbs mostly on the top of the bravo because thats where the shifting occurs. I dont carry them around the shop anymore I use a jack.Randy
Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
ndorfer15, I havent put either on a scale but going by the sh!t or oh sh!t factor I would say between 50-75 lbs mostly on the top of the bravo because thats where the shifting occurs. I dont carry them around the shop anymore I use a jack.Randy
I hear ya, I remember pulling the bravo off my old man's switzer every season. I'm sure it only goes up from there, with a bigger transom assembly, gear fluid bottle, and the different water pump set up. Same trimp pump for each?