Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Removing K-Plane (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/266184-removing-k-plane.html)

Prater 11-24-2011 08:12 AM

Removing K-Plane

I am removing the K-Plane 280's from my formula to get them cleaned up and new paint. The pin that holds the tab to the transom assembly will not budge. Any tricks or tips? The tab itself pivots freely, just wondering if I need a second set of hands to hold the tab while I drive the pin out...

Philm 11-24-2011 09:52 AM

I wouldnt drive it out, I would use a slide hammer to pull it out. Driving it out will only distort the end. Ask me how I know that....

jasonmd2 11-24-2011 09:56 AM

OMG! Have FUN! I just did this on my Cig. One side came right out...thought is was going to be an easy two minute job...ahh NOPE :angry-smiley-038:

I tried banging it out with a 3lb mini sledge, then an air hammer, then finally decided to cut the shaft out with a die grinder...this thing was in there like it was welded, but the tab still pivoted just like you mention.

Good luck, this was the most aggravating thing I have done on the boat so far, because it should have been so easy.

tcelano 11-24-2011 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Philm (Post 3556683)
I wouldnt drive it out, I would use a slide hammer to pull it out. Driving it out will only distort the end. Ask me how I know that....

+1. I've had two boats with these things, and had the intention of disassembling the tabs to paint them. Immediately gave up when I realized the only way to remove these shafts is destructively.

The tab portions usually stay ok, but its the transom bracket bores that were made too tight, and then they corrode together. If they wanted these to ever come apart, they should have fitted them with a fiber or bronze bushing at the factory.

If you really need them out, the only real way is to cut the pin at each hinge opening, get the tab out of the way, then remove the pieces individually.

FIXX 11-24-2011 03:34 PM

fixx

+2 slide hammer,,first see if the long bolt will at leaste turn,,saturate the hing pins firsr with pb blaster of krotoil,,this step will have to be repeted several times a day for a few days,,if you can get tne hing pins to turn then a slide hammer will work great,,if they wont budge then you may have to cut them apart..

eddie 11-24-2011 07:38 PM

Let them soak with some Q20 penetrating oil and it should come out with slide hammer.

Prater 11-27-2011 03:13 PM

What slide hammer are you using to pull the pin? I am soaking the pins every day with PB Blaster.

audacity 11-27-2011 04:23 PM

use a level and or straight edge on the bottom....they do bend!

i welded a nut with tab shaft size on one end of tube and the size of slide hammer on the other.

audacity 11-27-2011 04:32 PM

ps...the corrosion grows in those shaft holes. those shafts don't come out as nice as you would think on a new set!

tcelano 11-30-2011 06:43 PM

Like I said, both times, I just ended up masking everything off as good as possible, grinding/wheeling them and repainting in place.

45Tripps 01-07-2012 08:59 PM

What did you use to cut the pin without damaging the tab ?

audacity 01-08-2012 01:38 AM

did the person that started the thread ever get it all apart? just curious.

Prater 01-08-2012 08:47 PM

not yet, i decided to wait and pull them off the boat when i pull the drives. I will just drop them off at my machine shop and have them remove the pins.