502 Mag MPI HP upgrade question >

502 Mag MPI HP upgrade question

Notices

502 Mag MPI HP upgrade question

Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 Mag MPI HP upgrade question

I am starting to put together a new boat and am trying to do it on a budget while getting every mph possible. I am wondering what, if any HP upgrades that can be done with the motor in the boat? I recently picked up some Gill Offshore wet manifolds with stainless risers, a K&N flame arrestor, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and will soon be ordering a Mark Boos ECM tune and upgrading my B1 to a BX1. Is there anything else that would be worth doing with the engine still in the boat? I would love a Procharger, but dont really want to dump that much money into a starter boat. Like I mentioned, I have no reason, nor funds to pull the motor this year so a new cam is out of the question for now. Any other options out there for a few extra mph?

Last edited by MCKILLOP; 01-11-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Unless your able to upgrade to the BX1 cheap, I would put the money elsewhere. With likely less than 500hp you will be fine with a stock B1
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably hear flak over this...best way, pull and sell the EFI, then have $$ for a new cam from marine kinetics, dart intake and a 800 holley DP...way cheaper than getting more HP out of the EFI setup..
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered

Leave the ECM alone. Y
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Sorry dOnt remember how to edit a post. Programming the ECM is pretty much worthless. No gaIns with just exhaust. The drive will be fine as a standard b1. Easy power would be a carb (850 holley) and a rpm dual gap in take. With your exhaust you will make good Power.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
Unless your able to upgrade to the BX1 cheap, I would put the money elsewhere. With likely less than 500hp you will be fine with a stock B1
I am swapping the BX1 for free that came off a buddies boat that he is selling.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
Sorry dOnt remember how to edit a post. Programming the ECM is pretty much worthless. No gaIns with just exhaust. The drive will be fine as a standard b1. Easy power would be a carb (850 holley) and a rpm dual gap in take. With your exhaust you will make good Power.
Thanks, I am alittle supprised to hear that about the ECM. Anyways, sorry for the nube questions, but what else would be involved in pulling off the EFI? Am I able to pull the EFI and simply bolt on an intake and a carb? What do you think the stock EFI would be worth? Any recommendations for a good intake set up?
This might be a better way to go. Like I mentioned, this is my first boat that I am puttign together and trying to get every possible mph out of her just like everyone else. I really appreciate your advice.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MCKILLOP
Thanks, I am alittle supprised to hear that about the ECM. Anyways, sorry for the nube questions, but what else would be involved in pulling off the EFI? Am I able to pull the EFI and simply bolt on an intake and a carb? What do you think the stock EFI would be worth? Any recommendations for a good intake set up?
This might be a better way to go. Like I mentioned, this is my first boat that I am puttign together and trying to get every possible mph out of her just like everyone else. I really appreciate your advice.
Intake- edelbrock rpm air gap has been proven to be the best. Out does single plains at your engine size.
Literally just yank the efi and computer off. Put a msd dist on and a 6al.
Holley 850 carb. Should be good out of the box. Most of this can be picked up cheap.
Save the 1x gears until you break the b1.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
Intake- edelbrock rpm air gap has been proven to be the best. Out does single plains at your engine size.
Literally just yank the efi and computer off. Put a msd dist on and a 6al.
Holley 850 carb. Should be good out of the box. Most of this can be picked up cheap.
Save the 1x gears until you break the b1.
That sounds pretty simple. However, do you think it would be best to do this when I have time to pull the motor out and do a cam at the same time, or would switching to an intake and carb set up still give me the power I am looking for with the stock cam for now? Ideally, I could drop in the intake and carb this season and then next winter maybe pull the engine and do a cam? Woud that be worth it, or should I just wait and do it all at the same time?
Also, what is the msd dist on and a 6al. you are referring to?

Anyone have any idea what my efi set up might be worht? Anyone interested in a trade?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Efi system is worth a few hundred in real money. Msd 6al ignition box can be bought from summit. Usually can find on Craigslist cheap. Same with dist. I would do it now and enjoy. All compatible with a cam change later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.