Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Motor swap to 350 vortec - need new flywheels and other parts? >

Motor swap to 350 vortec - need new flywheels and other parts?

Notices

Motor swap to 350 vortec - need new flywheels and other parts?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Already have the standard mercruiser roller cam that the 295 - 300 HP engines have in them. Same as the HT383 and ramjet cam from chevy.

Getting aftermarket aluminum intakes also, stock exhaust.

Brian
In NE Indiana ...assume fresh water use? Just considering the aluminum intakes...without the brass lining that the Marine versions have...they don't make it very long here in SE Florida.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lake michigan

Will see use in Lake Michigan, maybe gun lake as we camp close to that. Lake Wawasee is about 30 minutes from home and my job gets slow in the summer, so will head there during the week for some tubing.

All fresh water for us.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, pulling the old original 350 blocks out of the 86 Formula. Got the late 90's vortec style with the one piece rear main seal. What is needed for this swap on Alpha ones?

I know I will need the electric fuel pumps and new intakes for the vortec heads (looking at the edelbrock performers).

Do I need new flywheels? haven't pulled the old motors yet to compare them, but getting close. Remember something about different couplers? not sure but the alpha's are NOT gen II.

Thank you, Brian
You will need a new style fly wheel to fit the one piece rear main that is all. The old coupler will work along with your bell housing. Also you can have a machine shop tap the hole for the fuel pump eccentric and run the stock mechanical pumps. I did this my self when I went with a Vortec style motor (located the right size drill bit and thats it). It took 5 min and never had a problem the 2 seasons I ran that motor and I ran that thing hard!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

I already have two of the new flywheels. the marine block I got has the opening for the fuel pump, I will have to look into the other block as I know the opening is there and mounting pad, it just doesn't go all the way through, so it will have to be drilled. glad to know it is not difficult, I was wondering if I would have to go to an electric fuel pump.

Brian
Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I already have two of the new flywheels. the marine block I got has the opening for the fuel pump, I will have to look into the other block as I know the opening is there and mounting pad, it just doesn't go all the way through, so it will have to be drilled. glad to know it is not difficult, I was wondering if I would have to go to an electric fuel pump.

Brian
Mine are L31 Vortec blocks and have the pad but no hole. My motors are assembled and I am really considering running electric pumps. I am not sure if my Comp rollers have the fuel pump eccentric or not and I sure as hell would hate to introduce any metal into these new motors.

I was lucky enough to get the original 1 piece late style fly wheels as well as the bell housing...along with new Hi torque starters. Looking good in that regard.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Default Update and summary

Well, this one kind of petered out as I am back to posting more generic information on my general build thread in the formula section.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...86-272-ls.html

As far as these motors go, one is back together and the other will be assembled soon.

They are basically late 90's engines, one from a truck, the other a marine motor. The truck motor was dipped, mag'ed, honed and line bored. It is now in beautiful shape and went back together nicely. The marine motor was a waranty take out that had water in it. Motor is maybe 5 hours old or less. Nothing wrong with it, motor is beautiful but putting in new rod and main bearings since they had some water go through and a complete gasket set. The caught it early as oil didn't look bad, but you could see the water droplets on the bearings when we pulled them. But the short block is as new as you get on a used motor, looks perfect! Not bad for a $200 with two flywheels.

They both have the standard mercruiser roller cams and vortec cast iron heads from truck motors. Heads cleaned up and valves lapped, look good. I am putting professional products vortec aluminum intakes on them to top them off. I will be reusing the original exhaust and the rebuilt Q-jet carbs along with the stock mercruiser ignition system.

I did not drill out the blocks since they both needed to be done. They were tapped, just not through drilled so I decided to go with electric fuel pump and fuel filter/seperator mounted on the front above the fuel tank.

I have another thread started on here about the cooling of the vortec motor and heads as the intake I am using has ports for the back of the motor if you want to pull cooling water from there to help even things out. That thread is:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...bd-vortec.html

I got two new externally balanced flywheels with the one marine motor I purchased, so I can use the same triangle couplers and my original bellhousings bolt up fine.

Accessories are going back on now. Biggest change was the fuel pump I think, everything else was pretty straight forward. Of course, not done yet so I am sure there is another Breat Out Another Thousand somewhere between me and the water on these motors!

This kind of wraps up this thread, so hopefully it will help someone in the future who is looking to do this same or similar upgrade and looking for information.

Thank you all for your help,

Brian