Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses? >

Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses?

Notices

Only for those that really boat on a budget, how do you handle big ticket expenses?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
Most of the guy's that ask me how I can afford an offshore boat are paying their ex wife's more than what it cost to buy and operate a boat . Just a little food for thought. It really is cheaper to keep her !!!!!!!!!! Same one for 29 years
I think you bring up a real and serious point. Marriages and kids with each wife cost lots of money. One problem is I think people dont take it serious enough anymore. One good thing about today is if you get a divorce there isnt such a stigma attached to it, and if truely cant get along with that person you can get out of it. But at the same time people make stupid decisions on who they pick and think everyday is going to be a picnic. having somebody that is all looks is going to get old after a while, if all she has is looks and doesnt work or provide to the family what good is it. Chances are shes bored and banging the mailman anyways and looking to move onto the next money whale when she gets a chance. Everybody thinks its going to be greener on the other side, and thats far from being true.

Last edited by soldier4402; 01-31-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the deep
welcome to the 99% club , we rock !!
+1
Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I think you bring up a real and serious point. Marriages and kids with each wife cost lots of money. One problem is I think people dont take it serious enough anymore. One good thing about today is if you get a divorce there isnt such a stigma attached to it, and if truely cant get along with that person you can get out of it. But at the same time people make stupid decisions on who they pick and think everyday is going to be a picnic. having somebody that is all looks is going to get old after a while, if all she has is looks and doesnt work or provide to the family what good is it. Chances are shes bored and banging the mailman anyways and looking to move onto the next money whale when she gets a chance. Everybody things its going to be greener on the other side, and thats far from being true.
True that! We hit a HUGE roadblock that almost ended our marriage at 10 years, it took time and work on both sides but, we worked through it. Boating helped in the recovery too... Long story short, we are stronger today because we both had alot to lose and worked together through it. Trust sounds easy but, it is really hard to truly trust someone.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Registered

I handle our toys with a "buckaboard" and "rent a wrench" mentality.
Got a buck, buy a board, build in phases, and when you move in it's paid for.
On mechanical work that's a little over my head I get a local boat/cycle mechanic to assist me for beer, BBQ, and cash.
I'm still new into this aspect of motorboating and haven't had a catastrophic failure yet, but I did buy a pair of super low hour B1 sweptbacks last year for a great price from an owner who opted to sell his boat piece by piece. I could have snagged some great powerplants with them for a sweet price too, but he wanted nothing I was willing to trade and leveraging the purchase was out of the question. He moved them quickly to another OSO member.
Like many of you here I'm always on C-list and motorsport forums looking for good deals on stuff for our jet skis, 4-wheelers, and motorcycles.
Most importantly, Keystone Light 30 packs are really cheap at the grocery store. Especially compared to drinking Coors Lights at the local cantina.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
Most importantly, Keystone Light 30 packs are really cheap at the grocery store. Especially compared to drinking Coors Lights at the local cantina.

See ya,
Kelly
I'm more of a

guy, but I hear ya!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^ lol thats one thing I can not skimp on to save money
Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soldier4402
^^^^ lol thats one thing i can not skimp on to save money
+1 lol
Old 01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I'm more of a

guy, but I hear ya!
My best bud drinks those and when I'm out at his place I drink 'em too.
In the can they taste just like the long neck bottles of Miller Lite we used to drink in the 90's.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by huskyrider
My best bud drinks those and when I'm out at his place I drink 'em too.
In the can they taste just like the long neck bottles of Miller Lite we used to drink in the 90's.

See ya,
Kelly
ahh,nattie lite,good n cheap.save the $$ for gas.those brown skin puckes in the middle east need more money.there not going to be happy till they bankrup us and kill our livelyhood.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow 42 post in 19 hours! That must be some record!! I never expected to come home from work and see 5 pages worth of comments.

I feel so much better now that I know I am not the only one out there that falls into this category! As so many have said I too am always looking for a deal but up until this point I typically don't have spare drives or anything, I am definetly going to start looking hard now.

I too tow my 28 year old boat with a 28 year old 1 ton crew cab dually that I bought in CL and you would be surprised how many looks/thumbs up I get maybe because it scream nostalgia!!

Lots of great ideas, keep me coming!!

Think I am going to start another thread in this section called "lets see your boating on a budget boats" A place were we can share all the hard work we put into our boats and boat related projects! Besides we can always use another thread full of pictures

I will look quick to see if a thread like this already exists but let me know if anyone already knows of one!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.