Notices

Ran out of gas...

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran out of gas...

Stupid, stupid - I know. However, it happened. '99 502 MAG. After running out, I filled from a can and then a marina. Started and ran fine. Next week when I go out, starts fine but as soon as I nail the throttle, the nose stands straight up and the engine's just sputtering. After about 30 seconds of this, it's like a switch is flipped, and she roars to life and is fine. This all happened late in the season last summer and I was only out maybe 2 times after running out. But each time was the same. Starts and idles no problem every time, the only problem is when I throttle up to get on plane. I'm going to drain what's left in the tank (minimal) and obviously change the water/fuel filter, but any other thoughts come to mind?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's obvious you have either fuel separation or water in the gas. Add the appropriate amount of Marine Stabil, change the fuel filters and water separators and get on with your life.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Water in the fuel is my bet as well.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Water in the fuel is my bet as well.
yep
Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I think it's obvious you have either fuel separation or water in the gas. Add the appropriate amount of Marine Stabil, change the fuel filters and water separators and get on with your life.
Vote #3 for water in the fuel. It's important to note though that adding any kind of fuel stabilizer now will not solve your water separation issue. Basically you've got to pump the water out. Nothing will re-solubilze it.

Now, when you do get it pumped out and change your water separating fuel filter, since you use the boat so infrequently, you need to run stabilizer all the time. Better yet, find a station that sells gas without ethanol in it - and still run stabilizer.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, an easy fix for once!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZT280
Thanks guys, an easy fix for once!
What fuelsystem is it on that one, could be the highpressure pump that checked out if equepped.

Let us know how it went.

Micke/MK