Notices

Here's the New 502! Looking for 625HP

Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Snapmorgan:

Just curious here with your results.

Could you please post some specs on your 540 build? Something seems kind low there for I believe a good mild build 540 inch engine should produce more than 565HP , more like 600-625HP. Maybe you could list the specs. such as heads, camshaft, intake system, exhaust, compression etc. Would be a help possibly to you and others here on OSo trying to achieve their goals.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
I would do plug checks and verify what a/f meter is doing. On a boat you tend to get some crappy reading and tend not to be as accurate as you would like. Unless of course your tails are dry. You can't get the 02 to be in the right place and not get wet.
The tails are wet at the transom.

But the Holley HP system has outputs for NOS, Fans, etc....

I've installed a 1" 12 volt valve that the holley systems will active at 1100 RPMS and below. Dumping most of the water (not all) at idle speed, between where the header transfers water to the tails. testing the temp, and sizing the hose after the valve will control the amount of water that stays in the tails. This will help save the engine and the O2 sensor.

BC
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Was this fountian at one time sitting off of Pine Forest Rd under a metal car port? Hope you make it to the run on saturday. I bet that 502 is gonna sound sweet.

LC
Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by YellowFever
The tails are wet at the transom.

But the Holley HP system has outputs for NOS, Fans, etc....

I've installed a 1" 12 volt valve that the holley systems will active at 1100 RPMS and below. Dumping most of the water (not all) at idle speed, between where the header transfers water to the tails. testing the temp, and sizing the hose after the valve will control the amount of water that stays in the tails. This will help save the engine and the O2 sensor.

BC
Idle is not really the issue but what you are doing is neat. It's just hard to locate the 02 in a good spot that gets true food reading. If you look into where an 02 needs to be placed to get te best readings that alone is hard enough but on out short/wet and mutil pieces set ups it's about impossible. A Dyno would be far better and would get you a lot closer to your number. You are shooting for very high h.p. numbers that are rarely achieved in a 502 let alone a 540. That's why I brought this up it kicked our ass until we hit the Dyno.
Regardless good luck those heads are beautiful.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Snapmorgan:

Just curious here with your results.

Could you please post some specs on your 540 build? Something seems kind low there for I believe a good mild build 540 inch engine should produce more than 565HP , more like 600-625HP. Maybe you could list the specs. such as heads, camshaft, intake system, exhaust, compression etc. Would be a help possibly to you and others here on OSo trying to achieve their goals.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I am sure my heads are killing me, and the intake is not optimal either, but it sure runs nice and will idle all day without loading up and sit for hours without vapor locking.
540CI
9.2-1 compression
Madara cam .621 lift 236 in dur 240 ex dur
Edelbrock marine heads 315cc (stock)
2.25"/ 1.89" valves
6.385 rod length
Imco power flow exhaust
502Mag EFI intake, ported and extrude honed
Bored out throttle body from 60mm to 69mm
Mefi 3 electronics
Made 567hp and 633# tq

Respectable numbers for out of the box parts that anyone can build, just a little lower than I was hoping for. Next time the heads will get ported or replaced and probably a Holley EFI setup.

But I also have to keep in mind that this was not a max effort build. it was designed around the injection system that I had and to keep my bravo drive alive. I just got a little greedy towards the end. Always wanting more i guess. It will probably wear out before it blows up though.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 03-29-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Snapmorgan:

Thanks for the specs and the information. I would say from the torque number that the camshaft, heads and compression are doing pretty fine. The big problem is the intake manifold and throttle body, believe me when I say that even extrude honed and bored throttle body your intake setup is choking off the power big time!
Either get yourself and 500EFI or 525EFI take off intake and throttle bodies or the Holley type set up and I guaranty you will see the extra 60HP you're missing and not a great deal more torque so I don't think it will be a drive killer driven reasonably.
Just remember engines are air pumps that burn gasoline to make power, choke off air into a well built air pump (engine) and it will not make good power. Best of luck with future improvements and have fun. Get yourself and good intake system when you can and that added power will be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ray @ raylar
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Yes, we could see it run out of air on the dyno. started going rich about 4400rpm. Had to back a little fuel out up top.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

2500.00 Will get you the Holley EFI, Victor JR Manifold, Wiring Harness, Mounts.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Registered

Default Update

Here some pics from tonight.
Attached Thumbnails Here's the New 502! Looking for 625HP-iphone-pics-004.jpg   Here's the New 502! Looking for 625HP-iphone-pics-007.jpg   Here's the New 502! Looking for 625HP-iphone-pics-012.jpg  

Here's the New 502! Looking for 625HP-iphone-pics-010.jpg   Here's the New 502! Looking for 625HP-iphone-pics-011.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Registered

nice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.