Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Installing Gil Style Stainless Risers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/275808-installing-gil-style-stainless-risers.html)

VancouverMark 05-04-2012 04:34 PM

Installing Gil Style Stainless Risers

I am installing my stainless Gil type risers on stock Mercruiser manifolds.
I have the gaskets, I am thinking I use that Blue Gasket Sealant on the manifold, then put the gasket down and more Blue Sealant on the gasket, then put the Riser down and tighten up.

I am going to use hardened (Black) bolts with lock washer/washer combo.

Sound right?:cartman:

Griff 05-04-2012 10:48 PM

What kind of stock Merc manifolds???? Not sure exactly what you mean by "Gil type risers." The only manifolds those Gil risers will fit are the aluminum Merc manifolds that were made by Gil that were used on the HP engines.

You do not need to use any sealer on the gaskets and I would not use any. I would use stainless bolts and SS flat washers only and put some anti seize on the threads of the bolts. They only need to be torqued down to about 30-35 ft lbs.

TDSracing 05-11-2012 11:38 AM

So gil made maniforlds for mercruiser? Are they any good?:hijack:

Baja226sport 05-11-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TDSracing (Post 3685243)

The manifolds Gil made for mercruiser are the exact same as the regular gil manifolds except they cast "mercruiser" on them.

MCKILLOP 05-11-2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by TDSracing (Post 3685243)

The Gill Manifolds are some of the best manifolds you can buy for a mild BBC.

dereknkathy 05-11-2012 05:01 PM

there are some "gil style" risers out there made to fit on stock merc 260-330 style manifolds. there is very little to be gained. the power loss in stock merc manifolds is primarily the 2.1 by 2.5 inch hole on top of the manifold. if trying to run hotter cams so you need more dry riser length, and if they weren't gotten for full retail, they could be a good idea. they also look pretty.

FIXX 05-11-2012 05:58 PM

fixx

dont forget the turbulators or you will get water on the valves when they sweat..

TDSracing 05-11-2012 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baja226sport (Post 3685246)
The manifolds Gil made for mercruiser are the exact same as the regular gil manifolds except they cast "mercruiser" on them.

I just bought a boat and think mine has these. They are pretty large, have mercruiser cast into them and stainless GIL risers with switchable mufflers on the tips. They also have the hoses at the bottom connecting each. To the original question, mine look to have grey gasket sealer on them. The same is on my intake.

dereknkathy 05-11-2012 09:47 PM

to the orig question. stainless bolts. nothing less. they are about 50 cents each.