Notices

Every lose a block plug ?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Every lose a block plug ?

Well of course I lost one of the blue block drain plugs under the engine in the Powerquest and had to run to the shop to get a new one so I could get the boat in the water.

I did not want to lose another so I drilled a very small hole in it and tied about a 2 feet of braided fishing line to it so if I dropped it again I could just pull it back out.

Not sure if anyone else has done this but just thought I would pass it along!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Not a bad idea at all. The bigger problem with those blue bad boys is when they get old, heat cycled and crispy. Then you break off the fin when you try to take them out. Time to get the drill into places one can barely reach by hand. Many bad words follow.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm small enough to be able to squeeze under my engines to retrieve things like this, however, it's gotta be reminiscent of being a contortionist!

This spring during unmothballing from winter, I forgot to install one of those damn things and about crapped my pants when I fired her up and saw a stream of water blowing out the side of the block (thought freeze got me)!

Does anyone make a brass replacement? I'm tired of spending $4 each for these things, my wings are breaking off also.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Not a bad idea at all. The bigger problem with those blue bad boys is when they get old, heat cycled and crispy. Then you break off the fin when you try to take them out. Time to get the drill into places one can barely reach by hand. Many bad words follow.

Yep, pretty much a couple yr lifespan item. I keep extras as at least 1 will alway break. I'll take an old screw driver and heat the end with a torch, then stick it in the remains of the plug, melting it's way in, then simply unscrew it.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brass plug on the port side and a water pressure fitting on the stbd side.

I would replace them with brass if I were you. they wont have the little wingnut handle on them but you wont break them.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I used brass petcocks (actually originally for cylinder decompression on old John Deere A)....screwed right in and work great. Basically just a small ball valve.

My father's old Sea Ray (1984) cam from the factory with brass versions of basically a brake line bleeder only looks like a wing nut. Holes are small so they get clogged with crap....

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 05-18-2012 at 10:56 AM.