Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
New contro; cable install help.... >

New contro; cable install help....

Notices

New contro; cable install help....

Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New contro; cable install help....

Over the weekend I ran new 3300C Xtreme control cables to replace the origonal Morse cables that came from Donzi. Everything went fairly smooh, but I am having a tough time adjusting the Throttle cable to the engine and I'm not sure why. At full throw I get the throttle body blades wide open, hoqwever when I pull back to idle, I still have the throttle body blades open about 15-20 degrees? I assume that at idle the blades should be closed all the way correct? I have made all the adjustment I can make and cant seem to get enough throw from the cable to let it go all the way back from idle. Does that make sence? It seems I need another 3/4inch of cable throw for me to get the throttle body blades back to full idle. These are the exact length replacement cable, so I know its not a cable issue. I did install a new Livorsi control, however I don't think I can adjust the control side anymore.

Any ideas? Will thoise new cables stretch at all after a few days?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the cable is not going to stretch. Is the cable fully retracted at full throttle?

Do you have any shorter-throw positions available at the throttle-body bell crank? If not, you may be able to drill a new hole in the bell crank. What type of end do you have on the cable at the engine?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

if it is a Livorsi control there should be three locations on the control to attach the cable. those three spot change the throw of the controls, it sounds like you are on the one close to the pivot point which shortens the throw. if you move it out it will lengthen the throw. as a side note you want the throttle arm on the box to hit its stop just before the carb reaches wide open. that lets the control take the hit and not the carb when you hit WOT.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
if it is a livorsi control there should be three locations on the control to attach the cable. Those three spot change the throw of the controls, it sounds like you are on the one close to the pivot point which shortens the throw. If you move it out it will lengthen the throw. As a side note you want the throttle arm on the box to hit its stop just before the carb reaches wide open. That lets the control take the hit and not the carb when you hit wot.
x2
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try.