Notices

new or used gaskets?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by balinsteadt
It wasn't the riser bolts, they were all there. It was the exhaust manifold bolt on the starboard engine starboard side, the bolt closest to the front of the engine.
Then no. The only thing that would cause is an exhaust leak.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use a hand bike pump and get to 20psi It's not that complicated. Block off the head and riser sides, plug the fittings, fill with water where water should be, pressurize and check for leaks out of the exhaust end. You should have no water or air coming out.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

a quiky check of man-riser combo it just stand it up and fill it with water till it is just full. if nothing is running down inside exh ports, you are probably ok. i have drains on the bad manifolds in my hatteras. (it is a summer house, not a driver anyway). i am thinking of doing that on every boat i run from now on. i put a T-fitting under manifolds where water hose goes in. run a loop hose around the back connecting the 2 together. put a ball valve on one front hose down low. flip the lever, manifolds are empty in `15 seconds. i can see no reason to leave water above your exhaust ports overnight or all week while boat is not being run.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I'm not to sure about your actone working like water at 20 psi. are you taking ing to acount that you are roughly at 14.6 psiA depend on your elevation... You need to test it at psiG. Also I would concider the rate at that actone evaporates. I am not trying to sound like a jerk but if you don't have a compressor in your shop or at very least a friend that had one you might be over your head. I would wait to get the job done right unless you have a cash sitting around to make larger repairs.

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
You can use a hand bike pump and get to 20psi It's not that complicated. Block off the head and riser sides, plug the fittings, fill with water where water should be, pressurize and check for leaks out of the exhaust end. You should have no water or air coming out.
Originally Posted by dereknkathy
a quiky check of man-riser combo it just stand it up and fill it with water till it is just full. if nothing is running down inside exh ports, you are probably ok. i have drains on the bad manifolds in my hatteras. (it is a summer house, not a driver anyway). i am thinking of doing that on every boat i run from now on. i put a T-fitting under manifolds where water hose goes in. run a loop hose around the back connecting the 2 together. put a ball valve on one front hose down low. flip the lever, manifolds are empty in `15 seconds. i can see no reason to leave water above your exhaust ports overnight or all week while boat is not being run.
Thanks for the advice! I dont have a compressor and I dont have a bicyle or a pump for that matter. I also dont have electric to my detached garage (hence why I havent bothered buying a compressor).

I am definitely over my head but I'm not rushing it. I am taking my time checking and double checking to make sure I am taking the correct steps. I assure you I would be very lost if I did not have people like you to lean on for advice and for that you have my appreciation.

I may not have explained the acetone approach appropriately. Being that acetone has such a lower molecular density than water it will seep through cracks without pressure just like water will under pressure. Think of it this way, a spider can walk on water due to the density that creates surface tension but the same spider will fall right through the surface of acetone and sink. That being said, I would not recommend using acetone if you have access to a compressor as acetone runs about $15 a gallon and each manifold takes just over a 1/3 of a gallon to test, so using water and pressure is much cheaper.

Using the acetone, I found that both of my "spares" and the exhaust manifold that was on the boat all have cracks. So, I'll be looking for a new exhaust manifold.

Thanks again for everyones advice! I would have never been able to figure this out on my own!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I finally got my new exhaust manifold in the mail.

The manifold has slots on each side, where it bolts to the riser, for the water jackets and the gaskets have slots on two sides and small holes on 2 sides.

Question: should I cut the gasket out to make it match the slots for the water jacket or should I just leave it like it is. Also, since I'm already doing this should I take the elbow off the riser and replace the gasket there? I havent separated the elbow from the riser yet.