Brovo1 OW220-Water and drive lube in bilge >

Brovo1 OW220-Water and drive lube in bilge

Notices

Brovo1 OW220-Water and drive lube in bilge

Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brovo1 OW220-Water and drive lube in bilge

Baja 302 twin 496's 430 hours Drive lube monitor empty - alarm - inspected and found drive lube oil and water in bilge . Gear lube quick connects checks ok - clean and dry. I can not physically find where this (water/lube) is coming from. The gera lube leaks down while boat is stowed. Everything around the gimbal is dry and anything below the exhaust is impossible to see. This problem started after wenter servicing and no mechanicals removed just fluids changed. Is there a problem with BROVO1/2 u-joint bellows seal leaks? This would explain the oil but not oil and water both - I may have two problem here one being a gear lube fluid leak and second with a water leak from engine hose but are not able to locate any water or lube leaks any ideas or suggestions would help - Thanks.
*added note * - Gimbal housing raw water hose connection tapered insert was replaced due to gimbal housing corrosion causing tapered insert to collapse restricting water flow - replaced and no leaks from raw water or the gear lube quick connect below the raw water connection.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not sure about your water leak but I had a lube leak that turned out being the sensor in the lube bottle. It would drip down the front of the engine taking 3-5 days to empty the bottle. Feel the sensor where the wires go in & see if it is wet. Hop it helps, Randy
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered

Thanks Randy - I did put a clean paper towel under the lube bottle and no drips after a week - Right now I am disconnecting the quick connect lube line when the boat is in the lift. I was able to see lube oil on transom, below the gimbal housing (right below the drive shaft). Looks like I will have to pull the boat and check the outdrive and hopefully find out what is happening. Waiting for winter before pulling boat - going to enjoy everyday possible on the water before jumping into this one
Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

i had a similar proplem but it was just drive oil, it turned out to be a $20 seal on the drive shaft were it goes into the drive. We had to pull the drive and open it up to get it fixed. i think its #28

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ift+Components
Old 10-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it happens again you will need to replace 25 also,,they get seal cut and the seal you replaced will only be a temporary fix.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Registered

I have just pulled the lower unit and found the shaft bellows is half full of gear lube.
Looks like the seal let go some time ago!
I couldn't see how the gear lube could travel the drive shaft and through the transom but, I do know now!

I will check the yoke (gear end) for wear grove caused by the seal.

Is there any special tool/tuque needed for the #26 ring nut?