6.2L black smoke and gas in water

Notices

6.2L black smoke and gas in water

Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
She is 0w063672. What is the spec for that serial?

I am not actually sure where the fuel pump is, I need to look around a little more to find that out. Sounds like I got another good list of troubleshooting to do this weekend.
Look under the left exhaust manifold. If you see a black snap on plastic cover, you have the 03 or newer model .The high pressure pump is behind the black cover. The low pressure pump is next to the water separator front of the right exhaust manifold.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the S/N, you have the late model GenIII fuel module(assuming it is a Bravo drive). It is located on the starboard side of the engine, lower front. The vacuum hose goes into the regulator mounted on the top. There have been a few problems with paint under the regulator getting sucked up and stopping up the screen. It is very easy to remove the regulator. Just 2 screws and pry it up. Make sure there's no loose paint. If it's a twin engine boat just swap regulators.

Bob

Last edited by bobl; 11-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay great, thanks I will try all of this on Saturday. This is my first time messing with the fuel system. Any tips on doing this safely without getting gas everywhere?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Okay great, thanks I will try all of this on Saturday. This is my first time messing with the fuel system. Any tips on doing this safely without getting gas everywhere?

It's a returnless sytem, so you have to relieve the pressure in the rails. Do it in a well ventilated [ outdoors preferred ] area, rap some rags around the Schrader valve while pressing on thevalve with a small screwdriver. Do same when swapping the regulators over, with rags underneath catching some spill.
If your symptom switched to the other engine , you'll know to replace the regulator.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys rock. Thanks so much for the help. I pulled off both filters then swapped the regulators. For the first time since buying the boat both engines are sounding identical when they run. No more smoke.