How to wire in a trim limit switch

Notices

How to wire in a trim limit switch

Old 03-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wire in a trim limit switch

Howdy,
I'd like to wire-in a trim limit switch on a boat that doesn't currently use one. The Bravo on my boat doesn't have a 'trailer' button, trim only. However, due to the external steering cap and the low swimdeck if one isn't paying attention he may accidentally stuff the drive up into said platform. Not cool.

My plan is to adjust it to kill the up trim shortly before it collides with the swim deck.

Also, how hard is it to add a mechanical trim indicator? I'm fairly savvy with tools, I keep a small machine shop as a hobby, but I'm looking if there are any pitfalls.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume something is wrong with your stock trims sender and limit switch .Or is it a high perf without them. People will commonly bypass limit switch instead of repair it..
It's easy to install mechanical sender if that's what you need .nothing but $
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didny look but knew it was a fountain..like mentioned most likely bypassed..look at the trim pump,their are bullett connectors going to it from the drive area,,look to see if they are connected..if you have a trim gauge then you will have the sender and it just may need to be hooked up or it is hooked up and may just need to be adjusted..as for external trim gauge look at eddiemarine.com they have a feew or go to the vender list on the left side of this page and pick one and start calling for pricing.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Mercury sells spacers that go inside your rams so it limits how far the drive can go up. Easy to do I had to do this on mine when I put on my new drive!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
i didny look but knew it was a fountain..like mentioned most likely bypassed..look at the trim pump,their are bullett connectors going to it from the drive area,,look to see if they are connected..if you have a trim gauge then you will have the sender and it just may need to be hooked up or it is hooked up and may just need to be adjusted..as for external trim gauge look at eddiemarine.com they have a feew or go to the vender list on the left side of this page and pick one and start calling for pricing.
I'm fairly certain this is what's happened. And yes, I do have a failed trim gauge or sending unit that I'm looking to replace. But I took the limit switch apart and shined up the contacts, it's so dead simple it's nearly impossible for it to fail.

I'll have a look this weekend. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
Mercury sells spacers that go inside your rams so it limits how far the drive can go up. Easy to do I had to do this on mine when I put on my new drive!
We had to do this also. Very simple project
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by KWright
Can you explain this some more ? Or post a link to the spacer please.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How to wire in a trim limit switch-image.jpg

Here ya go
Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Registered

That's one way to do it, but I'm going to try the method that doesn't require bleeding cylinders first.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cole2534
That's one way to do it, but I'm going to try the method that doesn't require bleeding cylinders first.
I had a solinoid stick and drove the drive into the swim platform hearing your gimbal crack is a sound you really don't want to hear! Trust me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.