Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget-249/)
-   -   Stellings header leak (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/293643-stellings-header-leak.html)

ICDEDPPL 03-27-2013 05:40 PM

Stellings header leak

I have the "Steroid" header. Motor is out ...Took one to get a small crack on the outside fixed and when put on the hose more leaks showed up internally.
One near the #1 cylinder that was repaired, the other at the collector and one that could not be seen.

The welder could not 100% fix the collector leak. He says the wall is too thin and theres some pitting on the rest of the header internally.

These are 2002 , is that all a $7500 set lasts? 11 years and their done?

Not a good day for me, I checked all plugs and exhaust ports and there no indication of reversion.
Figure hes testing it on 45psi residential water pressure.. all these will see is 17psi..

Thought?! I can`t pull off a new set right now...hoping the leak is smaller at less psi and just blows out the exhaust???

sonic700 03-27-2013 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear!!!!! I know how ya feel. Reduce the pressure at the hose to 25 to 30 and see what happens.

FIXX 03-27-2013 06:31 PM

fixx

here is the sad part,,wtelling is out of the header biz so you phucked on trying to replace one set in the future..after about hearing about the one i would pull all of them and check them,,better then replacing the blocks when water gets into your cylinders and hydraulisc's the block wide open..put a self drain kit on the headers so they drain when your sitting..

GAZ 03-27-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by FIXX (Post 3893888)
here is the sad part,,wtelling is out of the header biz so you phucked on trying to replace one set in the future..after about hearing about the one i would pull all of them and check them,,better then replacing the blocks when water gets into your cylinders and hydraulisc's the block wide open..put a self drain kit on the headers so they drain when your sitting..

What is a self drain header kit? Will you explain please. I might be interested in them. I drain my complete block and headers every time I use my boat.

FIXX 03-27-2013 06:45 PM

fixx

Originally Posted by GAZ (Post 3893901)
What is a self drain header kit? Will you explain please. I might be interested in them. I drain my complete block and headers every time I use my boat.

its bacicly a hose that goes through the transom or drains in the hull that drains its self when its not under pressure..

bcfountain 03-27-2013 07:36 PM

I feel your pain$$.thats a big ticket item.i am like u.that kind of coin they should last longer.

ICDEDPPL 03-28-2013 06:56 PM

Well I brought the header home tested it and I don`t see the big deal. I get nothing when I hook it up to the hose full blast and when i restrict one end I get a little seapage at the collector.

When is the header going to have 45psi in it and nowhere for the water to go as he was testing it?? Never

Its a good day:thankyouthankyou:

FIXX 03-28-2013 07:31 PM

fixx

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 3894568)
Well I brought the header home tested it and I don`t see the big deal. I get nothing when I hook it up to the hose full blast and when i restrict one end I get a little seapage at the collector.

When is the header going to have 45psi in it and nowhere for the water to go as he was testing it?? Never

Its a good day:thankyouthankyou:

the crack will open up under extreme heat so make sure it's cool!..

cdail28590 03-29-2013 12:48 PM

You can call Stellings and they have a contact person that can replace the collector and repair any leaks. The guy was pretty cheap. I sent mine back to him and he replaced the entire collector for $350 and it came back looking like new.

ICDEDPPL 03-29-2013 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by cdail28590 (Post 3894963)
You can call Stellings and they have a contact person that can replace the collector and repair any leaks. The guy was pretty cheap. I sent mine back to him and he replaced the entire collector for $350 and it came back looking like new.

Well how awesome is that !! Do you have any contact info??