School me about trim pumps >

School me about trim pumps

Notices

School me about trim pumps

Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Question School me about trim pumps

New boat to me; tabs move like Lance Armstrong on steroids, drives move "normal" speed, hydraulic hatch moves like a fat kid in gym class, it just takes forever.

Are there orfices that control fluid flow? How is speed controlled?

Far left is hatch:

Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's cold out it will,go,faster when its warm Out. Mine almost didnt open last,weekend.

Mark
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Dan, you can adjust the pressure on these pumps. However, you want to take notes on what changes you make to them.

For example, on the hatch pump. You'll want to remove the reservoir can, either a screw or bolt on bottom of it. Once you remove that, you will see the jam nuts for the relief valves. Without having a psi gauge, youll have to trial and error it.

Loosen the jam nut, and turn the valve screw in 1/2 turn on each (both up and down side). Replace reservoir, and try it. It may take a couple times to get it where you want it. Like MrCig said though, when its cold out, it will move slower.

For those tab pumps, it seems like you need to reduce the pressure. Those things do move friggin fast, and can prob get you in trouble. Same procedure as above, but youll want to back the screws out, instead of turning them in. Keep track of what changes you make, so if all else you can put it back to its current setting.
Attached Thumbnails School me about trim pumps-pump.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are all moving different 'weight'. Hatch, very heavy, ram is probably closer to the rear therefore working harder to push the hatch up, requires a lot of force.

Tabs are very light, don't require a lot of force to move.

Could be that the hatch pump is getting tired, from years of having to lift a heavy hatch up too. You could swap the pump with one of your tab pumps and see if it helps any.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Registered

its a matter of volume tabs smallest, then drives and hatch ram will take most fluid to move. hatch normally come down quicker due to ram displacing fluid. increase of pressure will increase output volume.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
They are all moving different 'weight'. Hatch, very heavy, ram is probably closer to the rear therefore working harder to push the hatch up, requires a lot of force.

Tabs are very light, don't require a lot of force to move.

Could be that the hatch pump is getting tired, from years of having to lift a heavy hatch up too. You could swap the pump with one of your tab pumps and see if it helps any.
This was all pretty much a re-rig. My guess is the hatch pump is turned down a bit.

I used to have a hydraulic hatch on my old 40 Excalibur, that friggin thing would toss someone in the water in about 2 seconds when you touched the ''up'' button. My buddies Cig Bullet also had a hyd hatch, also moved very fast.

With drives, you need lots of ''UP'' psi, to overcome the force of the propeller thrust while underway. WAAAAYYY more than you'd need to raise a 150lb hatch. I once had a trim pump going south. To get it to trim out underway, id have to back off the throttle on that engine, hit the up button, and then get back on the throttle. Raised the drive fine standing still though!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Thanx Joe Fountain, thats the info I was looking for!

btw, ran new A/C intake and discharge lines, electric, mounted A/C. Just in time for winter
Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was under the impression that these are positive-displacement pumps, in which case the only thing that will speed things up is a larger size pump rotor set or a faster motor. It's all about pump displacement rate versus ram cavity volume.

I could be wrong...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Registered

My one drive moves faster that the other, it sucks. I've been dealing with it, but it needs to be fixed at some point, sounds like a pain in the neck. have to remove and reinstall the pump and all trial and error with notes. There should be a better way.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 27 MAGNUM
My one drive moves faster that the other, it sucks. I've been dealing with it, but it needs to be fixed at some point, sounds like a pain in the neck. have to remove and reinstall the pump and all trial and error with notes. There should be a better way.
there is. buy 2 brand new pumps...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.