Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful. >

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Notices

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

This is great you are engaging us. I'm in food manufacturing, ready-to-eat. We are SQF certified. This is a food version of ISO. I strongly suggest pursuing ISO certification and start using some form of SPC/Six Sigma, or whatever flavor you like.

When we came to the realization we needed to go SQF (ISO) we were concerned about implementation costs and ongoing costs. Believe me, your ongoing costs come down and the system saves money. More importantly, it saves customers; in fact gains customers because word gets around.

You cannot compensate a customer for problems by simply replacing product. It costs them much more than the cost of the product. You lose all-around when you ship sub-standard products.

Consider moving into ISO. You will not ship bad product. It will not happen.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waybomb
This is great you are engaging us. I'm in food manufacturing, ready-to-eat. We are SQF certified. This is a food version of ISO. I strongly suggest pursuing ISO certification and start using some form of SPC/Six Sigma, or whatever flavor you like.

When we came to the realization we needed to go SQF (ISO) we were concerned about implementation costs and ongoing costs. Believe me, your ongoing costs come down and the system saves money. More importantly, it saves customers; in fact gains customers because word gets around.

You cannot compensate a customer for problems by simply replacing product. It costs them much more than the cost of the product. You lose all-around when you ship sub-standard products.

Consider moving into ISO. You will not ship bad product. It will not happen.
I appreciate all of the suggestions but I guess where this all got lost was in respect to a quality issue on a product. I guess the part I'm struggling to get across (My fault) is that I don't believe or even know if the product was flawed or what the problem was because the customer never let us get on an even playing field and see the product.

Again I never got to see it? I am in no way saying this customer isn't correct but I will go on the record to say we get calls on occasion from customers that have installation issues that have nothing to even do with the product. We respect every end users desire to install the goods they buy in the end again we never got to see the parts in question.

I'm merely posting in reference to the fact we are here to stand behind our product whether our fault or not. We build Oil Pans for almost a dozen professional engine builders in this industry and they wouldn't allow a single flaw. So honestly the only thing I have to go by is a unhappy customer with an issue that we tried to resolve but weren't given any opportunity to do that.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardin Marine
Stef's makes beautiful stuff dry sump pans

I was answering Motor's question about what other oil pans we are using and listed the only problem we have over the years with any of your products. We use Hardin Marine products on a regular basis and are more than happy with your products and service. We stock your sea pumps and fittings, the same ones that have been on here in the past giving some OSO members problems. We have never had a problem with them and install them on all our builds. Its like you said when the end user is installing your products your going to have problems.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I did speak with Scott Price over the phone and via emails, back in 2011 (DEC). At the time I was just giving him a friendly fyi about some products we had trouble with while also angling for a deal for some strainers for the new boat. The boatbuilder however did not choose to use them and the issue went away. It is only recently with the coupler failure that my frustration has returned.
I started this post merely to relate to people that some products are not always perfect and that one should be aware. I never asked for anything from Hardin. I do understand that you felt like you needed to clear your good name but maybe you should have let that dog lay. After all, 1 OSO er even said it was a pointless winter thread, maybe so but here we are 5 pages later.
FYI The engines were built by a professional shop. They dealt with the pan issue. The boat was built by a professional boatbuilder with 25 yrs of experience in setting up raceboats, ie if you are referring to proper alignment for coupler life. You may want to see the coupler but I couldn't care less, I know what it looks like and what a blank shaft turning in it looks like with the engine running on the floor. I won't spend a penny to send it anywhere as I'm not looking for anything. I accept your apology as I have before. It is what it is. Brian
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I've had to do at least some modification on almost every "bolt-on" aftermarket item used. Even had to trim a coolant reservoir cover. (not Hardin)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 285 Likes on 176 Posts

I've only had 1 experience with Hardin Marine and it wasn't good. Last summer I purchased a auto-calibrating solid-state fuel sender that simply would not calibrate.Spent hours screwing with that damn thing. When I called them to get tech support, I was told they don't do phone support, just email. Spent the next few weeks sending emails and waiting for replies, When I received a reply, instead of a helpful technical response they would just ask another question like what was the purchase date, what was the lot#, what codes are written on top, what was the invoice#, what was the manuf date. Hell, they sold it to me, they should know all that stuff. I finally just gave up and went with another mechanical sender .I seriously doubt I'll every purchase anything from them again.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM
Registered

I would like to reiterate your claim and acknowledge to everyone that YES as you said "some products are not always perfect" In order to offer additional services to our clients we do sell products such as the coupler you are referring to that is a 100% original factory Mercruiser couplers. WE DO NOT manufacture couplers as Mercury has that market cornered.

What we do is buy in the largest quantity of anyone so that we can turn around and pass along those savings to our customers. As for your coupler failure I wasn't there and again I never saw it but everyone on the boards here knows there are only a couple of things that kill couplers as at least in my experience I haven't run across any defects yet.

Bottom line the buck stops with us and we know that. like below with the Livorsi Marine fuel level sender we redistribute as their was an issue for the customer. In that case we needed info so that we could speak educated with Livorsi marine about the product and you will see the customer was frustrated and gave up. I get it but again I mean we sell literally thousands of fuel senders to professional shops across the country and when we see issues more commonly than not its with a end user install.

Here's the facts from a business standpoint if the returns or complaints of a redistributed product exceed 2% we get rid of it. Its no fun standing up taking a beating for products others make. When its products we produce then that falls square on our shoulders.

As for letting this die that would have been smart long ago but cowardly. I can only think of a few Manufactures that will even get close the forums because in many cases the information presented isn't always correct and the community attacks them similar to this post. That's why most of the manufactures now hang out at another forum. At the end of the day our family of brands and companies didn't grow to be the largest without some bumps in the road. I only wish we could have met your expectations earlier on happy boating.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Registered

On a whole other side note I just want to reiterate to the forum as a whole what the outside perspective on this place is. Yes its your community to do with it as you please and its a free world with freedom of speech. But not addressing the issue in a professional manner has made sooo many of this sites advertisers and supporters leave I don't have fingers and toes to count them all.

Since this thread started I have received at least a dozen calls from owners of other businesses saying just walk away OSO is a lost cause that its been poisoned by a few. Personally I wouldn't go that far but here's what you should know for the benefit of your own community.

This place should be your opportunity to work with manufactures and to ask them to improve things, or build products you thing the industry needs and can benefit from. For some reason there's this war against the people that bring you the products that should make your boating life possible or better. Hey I'm an enthusiast of many types of power sports and OSO has a negative agression like I have never seen amongst any other message boards.

There's an opportunity here for such a positive relationship between the manufacture and the community. Sure you can have an opinion but maybe if it could be just a little less slanderous and vicious you could get more support. Like the old bee's and honey deal but there's a minority amount of members killing it for all the rest of you .

We addressed this thread because we cared and wanted to make sure both sides were at least heard whether I did it right who knows.You all have as much power to be positive and make change as you do negative and make change but since theirs no professional management moderating here its merely like the Hunger games. Its your home do with it as you see fit
Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Hardin

Please consider making your manufacturing operation and any of your suppliers / co-manufacturers ISO compliant.
You can not fathom the amount of problems that go away.

The thoughts on controling the installer or lack of control is the wrong thought. The thought should be "0what could we do to make the install easier or better?"

It's on the table. be one of the first to be ISO. It is a competitve advantage.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly, the company pontificator. I am done with this as well to the relief of all I'm sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.