Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful. >

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Notices

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Its an easy thing to flip through a catalog and whip out the plastic and away you go. However, its not so easy to swallow poorly made parts for boatloads of money. I've had oil pans not fit well ( poor stamping ) oil adapters hitting said pans, header flanges needing augering out , engine mounts rusting after only a year in the boat and most recently a coupler go away after only 24 hours. All parts from the same manufacturer. I've had my share of emails back and forth and the " we're so sorry". But it just lip service. They never did anything to make up for my inconvenience . This company makes or sells all sorts of nice parts and I'm sure that not all stink. Their display at the boat show was shiny and well polish, though manned by a couple guys who were more interested playing with lap tops than working the crowd. A friend, I was with, knowing I use their headers, ask how I liked them as we looked them over on display engine. I said that they are great and I have no gripe, accept, as I pointed to the head flanges and pointed out that some of the holes don't line up and you had to dremmel them out, and said "you have to deal with that." That did it for him. He'll find something else for his new build.
I'm not naming this company as it will turn into a mud slinging event, which is always fun to read truthfully and sadly but not fun to be in. This is in a small part, gripe, but also a friendly warning. When ordering any parts, double and triple check the fit and don't always expect to bolt and go.

Last edited by bwd; 02-22-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

So why post this then? Led the mud fly! If they make a crap part, we need to know about it.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

How about you PM the company for anyone that wants to know. Maybe someone else will report who it is and you do not have to worry about that you started it the mud. You can hit me with PM as to who it is. THX
Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 PM
bwd
Registered

It should not take a rocket scientist to figure out who. They are one of the biggest multi state out fits going . Florida, Cali and wherever else. and sold through a major catalog, maybe owned by the same people. And a big front row spread in the Miami show.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

P M please but I think I know
Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like Hardin Marine to me.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I don't know
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Pointless winter time thread of the week.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with waybomb,,,, give us the name ,,,, some of us dont know all the companys out there ,,,, my pockets ARE NOT DEEP by any means, so i have to make my purchases count,,,, i'm not wanting you to slam anyone , although i do think its perfectly OK to tell the truth ,,,,,, then we can decide for ourself if we still want to purchase from them ,,,,,, NO ONE can complain about the TRUTH
Old 02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
bwd
Registered

Hardin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.