Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Re-wiring a boat, how bad is it? >

Re-wiring a boat, how bad is it?

Notices

Re-wiring a boat, how bad is it?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-wiring a boat, how bad is it?

I just picked up a 30' Velocity with triple outboards. I am not thrilled with the condition of the wiring, and it looks like over the years several people have "fixed" it. 1 example is even with the battery switch off, a lot of accessories stay hot. I have a good understanding of electrical, however, on some of the more complicated switches I would need diagrams. Am I crazy to do this? Does a few days seem like an ample amount of time or is this something that could take weeks? Thanks! Joe
Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really depends on how far you want to go with it. If you do it, you should follow the common standards for wiring colors which

can be found here: ==> http://boatwiringadvice.com/boat-wiring-colors/

You're not crazy but it will require a LOT of patience, good attention to detail and you should label EVERYTHING and take pictures of as much as you can. This is not an area where you want to skimp. Bad wiring or arcing connections in an area filled with gas fumes can have some pretty bad consequences, so just be sure of your own abilities to do this work before you start.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Its not to bad. Start with replacement harnesses from motors to dash... THat keeps things simpler than just paln out your acc's. You can get shring tubed connectors off ebay in large qtys cheap.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Really depends on how far you want to go with it. If you do it, you should follow the common standards for wiring colors which

can be found here: ==> http://boatwiringadvice.com/boat-wiring-colors/

You're not crazy but it will require a LOT of patience, good attention to detail and you should label EVERYTHING and take pictures of as much as you can. This is not an area where you want to skimp. Bad wiring or arcing connections in an area filled with gas fumes can have some pretty bad consequences, so just be sure of your own abilities to do this work before you start.
That is a great link, they even sell harnesses, I had no idea!

Originally Posted by phragle
Its not to bad. Start with replacement harnesses from motors to dash... THat keeps things simpler than just paln out your acc's. You can get shring tubed connectors off ebay in large qtys cheap.
Thank you, I didn't think about the harness, that was my main fear, wiring the ignition/kill/primer, and all I need is the harness.

It looks like I will be doing this, but have to wait til I have the funds available. I'll post a thread when I get to it. Thanks a lot both very helpful!!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Only the Best Will Do!

007Joe,

http://www.keitheickert.com/c-146-wiring-harnesses.aspx

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Registered

I've been doing 12 volt wiring for over 20 years. To me, it's therapy.....I know, crazy right!?!? But I have done some serious wiring on limos, fire chief vehicles, insane sound systems, custom cars, motorcycles and yes....boats. If you don't like the wiring, fix it. You do have to have serious patience, but it's worth it in the long run.

I'm wiring my Cobia Allante as we speak. It to has been "fixed" by others before. I just installed dual blue tops and a cut off switch with new, made by yours truly, 2 ga battery cables. I have yet to get into the dash, but one step at a time.

Follow your gut, it's never wrong.