Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
496 HO MAG Running Rough Missing >

496 HO MAG Running Rough Missing

Notices

496 HO MAG Running Rough Missing

Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for responding. I just replaced all 8 injectors because number 6 was stuck open so I just replaced them all. After I put the new ones in I hooked it up to the hose and fired it up and it was raving up and down (don't know the the rpm range because I didn't have it hooked up to a scanner at the time) with a air sucking sound I didn't run it long because it wasn't sucking water and ended up taking the water pump out and it was shot lucky It didn't blow while I was out running on the lake. I have the hole water pump on order and it's not here yet so I haven't been able to really get into figuring it out just been reading a lot about what it could be.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
MANY Multiple issues just the jist here - he sent me all 16 fuel injectors - contaminated with rust extremely bad - they were really bad to the point not worth even keep cleaning them., also completely rusted internally fuel rails somewhat a problem with the 496's early versions more so than latter versions. They are weak for corrosion protection internally. He even sent me the fuel rails - still to this day can not even believe the engines started and ran.

All new fuel rails and injectors and other fuel components were needed after he sent me them to examine. - I had worked with him over the phone extensively last year along with his techs. He still had some other small issues on top of lurking but that was going to require a inperson test drive with multiple testing tools to monitor many output specs and running conditions.

Found out after the fact the wiring harness has a tiny bit of meting spots - possible for his current state of issues. New harness replaced I think. We talk once in awhile currently.

His app really needed someone in person to look really indepth at because like many boats it surely had alot more than one issue causing problems. I got him very close over the many phone calls as his boat really came around running actually the best since he bought it plus what I provided in proper new parts, proper info and proper installs, like I said got him real close to running perfect.
Thanks a lot for responding. I just replaced all 8 injectors because number 6 was stuck open so I just replaced them all. After I put the new ones in I hooked it up to the hose and fired it up and it was raving up and down (don't know the the rpm range because I didn't have it hooked up to a scanner at the time) with a air sucking sound I didn't run it long because it wasn't sucking water and ended up taking the water pump out and it was shot lucky It didn't blow while I was out running on the lake. I have the hole water pump on order and it's not here yet so I haven't been able to really get into figuring it out just been reading a lot about what it could be.